TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went on a little run with the HCR guys saturday in payson. pretty easy road most of the way, would have been very scenic if the clouds werent so low and lite rain all day.

the high light of the day was walking the "in-famous" Upper Skull Crusher trail. the last water fall on this trail is awesome.

then on the way home my buddy Justin called and wanted to do a shake down run on his newly stretched TJ on his new ORI struts. so i left the bus loaded and hit TM sunday.

this about when we realized the right rear strut wasnt extending all the way, only about 8" of the 16" of shaft travel

his jeep is really hard to spot for due to really strong motor, and a stall conveter that wouldnt move it at 2500rpm, but at 2600rpm it would lurch foward 4 feet. its more of a sand jeep than anything.
while attending his slow leaking tire these two guys popped up the trail

yes the truck has rear steer and leaf springs, but wasnt working right.

then we decided it was getting dark and hi tailed it up the rest of the trail, but i had to play on this last obstacle a little

im still learning to drive this thing but i was pretty happy when it crawled right up this

the end

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I got a few pics from Saturday......and Saturday night, I'll get them, up tonight

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Once we got everyone gathered up and airing down we got some group pics;

The kid came along in his ride;

By far the coolest rig on the trail;

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Cruisin along;

The coffee was bursting some bladders so we stopped for a break;
Ahead;

Behind;

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
From here we kept winding our way accross the ridge untill we dropped down into the canyon that was our exit. We dis some hikin to show some an epic buggy trail and then finished the drive out and later met up for dinner.

Sorry for the low quality pics but my normal photographer was stayin in the truck with the heat to try and keep warm so she doesn't get sicker than she already is........

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
After dinner we stopped at the cabin to drop off Cristina and grab some necessities for a night run up on the rim to look for snow...... It was so foggy on top I couldnt see 40 feet in front of the truck, 40 MPH was all the faster I dared go even though I know the road pretty well...... we reached the rim road and there was only about 4" of the white stuff and slush...... we drove in a ways and locked the hubs in...... didnt bother airng down from 20 as I didnt figure we'd see much deeper than we were in.......

I was messin with the camera settings and couldn't get a decent pic because of the fog;

No flash, check out the difference between the kids HID's and my piss-ant headlights.......

The flash made it look like we were in a blizzard;

We drove around mostly in 2wd for about an hour and a half and got into about 8" at the most..... it was melting while we were up there and really slushy....... still had fun though.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Makes me feel good that the kid spent his birthday weekend with the ole man for the 2nd year in a row....... wantin to wheel, especially in the snow, he's definately my son....

Great trip, with great friends as always..... Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Rockwell?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You can only imagin the stress on that panhard frame mount:eek: Looks like it was ripped and rewelded at some point. The rockwell is cool though.
I really have my doubts about those boat anchors. We did Die Hard on the RST run and got hung up behind a guy who had a broken axle shaft in his Rockwell and was being winched from one rock to another. At some point all that weight in axles and the stuff that has to hold them starts going backward. We saw a rig with them on Miners Revenge, and it brought the suck as well, despite what must have been 50'' tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts