TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the other thread with this title encouraged me to seek advise here from all you for a similar situation I'm facing but with several differences.

PS2 package on E-Bay

On 16 December, I purchased a PS2 package on Ebay from a seller that is now no longer a registered member. I always check the feedback for suspicious practices and am kicking myself over confusing this seller with another with 100% feedback! :mad: I didn't realize it until a few days after I finished the transaction. I payed with a debit card from Bank of America (who I haven't contacted yet) through PayPal. Shipping insurance wasn't offered so I didn't have that. The big problem is that I'm military stationed overseas and the item was to be shipped to my APO address which is also my PayPal confirmed address. I've sent about 20 emails to the seller requesting a shipping date and haven't heard anything back from them. I filed with PayPal on 12 Jan because I hadn't heard anything from the seller but the status since day one has been "Waiting For Seller's Response" and it's pissing me off. What are my options?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a thought and decided to re-read every bit of information I could on the PayPal account and came across this:

A claim has been filed against this transaction. The seller's deadline for responding to this claim is Jan. 22, 2007. If the seller does not respond by the deadline, the claim will be decided in your favor. You may cancel this case at any time by clicking "Cancel" below.
Since today is the 22nd and neither of us have heard anything, what recourse will be taken now? Would I get my money back from PayPal who will get it from the seller?

I payed with shipping to an APO address and have heard (but haven't been able to verify myself) that APO addresses aren't covered by certain things from PayPal. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Man, I know a bunch of people that have had nothing but blue skies and good times on EBAY.

Me personally, I've never been trusting enough to do business that way.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sure this was more than a couple of bucks, so I'd act quick. PayPal has an 800 number and they're pretty squared away. I've had some issues with eBay purchases in the past and they were great.

Give 'em a call and see what your options are,

Rob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Never even sold anything? The way it has always seemed to work is ya get the money then send the item.

Which is probably why scams are more present.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well last year I bought a TI-89 calculator off ebay, ended being like 95 dollars or something. Well I didn't get a response for like 4 days so I was trippin and got the contact info through ebay. Well it turned out, or seemed anyhow, that the seller (2 guys under one name) had a gmail email specifically for ebay and they never checked it. I called them and talked to them. Then I got my shit.

But the weird thing was I emailed someone else who bought something from those guys (bought it 1-2 weeks prior) and he was trippin too cause he didn't get what he bought. Well after I talked to that guy on the phone it got sorted out.

I was unclear if you bought it through ebay, dont ask why, but you can get the phone number from ebay. Just need the screen name and the item number I recall.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this seller was quick enough to accept my money and it doesn't take over a month to ship something out here to me. I've bought and received several other items online over the past month without issue.

Would EBay give me a phone number on a member's who's no longer registered? Also, I can't find a phone number to contact EBay.

·
Registered
925 Posts
fast frank said:
Man, I know a bunch of people that have had nothing but blue skies and good times on EBAY.

Me personally, I've never been trusting enough to do business that way.

I hope it works out for you.
i've completed in excess of 200 transactions and have never been burned as a buyer. personally, i trust someone on ebay rather than some random stranger on the street, or here on the board. as the OP already admitted, he didn't carefully look at this person's rep. i'm surprised people even continue to purchase from a guy with 11-12 negative feedback.

a couple of safe ebay rules, 1. never purchase from anyone with less than 100 feedback; 2. never purchase from anyone with less than 99-98 percent good feedback; 3. never purchase from a person who doesn't post an original picture of the item, unless the person is in the business of selling that particular item; and 4. all else equal, always try to purchase from someone who is selling a particular item as part of their business, even if it means paying a few extra bucks. people selling extra junk they have usually view these transaction less seriously than someone trying to make a living on ebay. the former has a higher chance of putting the shipping of your item low on their priority list.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
peekay331 said:
i've completed in excess of 200 transactions and have never been burned as a buyer. personally, i trust someone on ebay rather than some random stranger on the street, or here on the board. as the OP already admitted, he didn't carefully look at this person's rep. i'm surprised people even continue to purchase from a guy with 11-12 negative feedback.

a couple of safe ebay rules, 1. never purchase from anyone with less than 100 feedback; 2. never purchase from anyone with less than 99-98 percent good feedback; 3. never purchase from a person who doesn't post an original picture of the item, unless the person is in the business of selling that particular item; and 4. all else equal, always try to purchase from someone who is selling a particular item as part of their business, even if it means paying a few extra bucks. people selling extra junk they have usually view these transaction less seriously than someone trying to make a living on ebay. the former has a higher chance of putting the shipping of your item low on their priority list.
I am usually very careful about who I purchase things from on Ebay. My confusion with this seller is I was looking at so many thing and had so many windows open with Ebay that I thought I was buying from someone with 100% feedback score. It was a mistake on my part and I'm looking for advise on how to fix my fuckup.

If someone doesn't have 100% feedback rating, I always read what the negative feedback was. Some people leave negative feedback just because you left them negative. Regardless of how well you did your part. Like another issue I'm dealing with right now. The seller has taken over a month to ship an item because they were out of stock. I've had several emails go unanswered and only found out they were back-ordered because I called them on the phone after 15 days of not receiving the item. They have since only answered about half my emails and half of those responses have been generic answers or only addressing half my email. I purchased the item, payed immediately, pushed for communications to resolve a shipping issue and they have more or less blown me off. To me, they have bad business practices and deserve a negative feedback. But if I do, their history indicates, they'll leave a negative feedback for me saying "communication is the key" :rolleyes: Point is that not all negative feedback is warranted. The rest of your advice is very good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If the seller does not respond to the complaint by the deadline, then Paypal will decide in your favor and credit you back your money. Paypal is pretty good about this stuff, its their business. Dont worry about how they get the money back, they have addresses and account info for this guy. Even if he is now unregistered, he had to register with a checking account to get a paypal account to begin with. Even if he closed the checking account, charges can be backed to it and the bank will hold him responsible for payment. Your pretty safe with paypal :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW! I guess all I had to do was wait it out. I just got the following email (edited down) from PayPal:

Dear Christopher,

After careful review, this claim has been decided in your favor and $126.50
USD has been credited to your account.

This is the maximum amount covered by PayPal. If your claim was for more
than the amount recovered, the outstanding balance is due from the seller
and we will make our best effort to recover it for you.
It's a loss of about $25 because of their transaction fees but that's basically what I had bought it for minus the shipping. I can deal with that. :kewl: Of course I'll still hound the seller for my $25!!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
the key to posting bad feedback is to wait until the last day you can do so, (usually like 90 days after the auction closed) and then post. then the other guy doesn't have a chance to respond by posting negative for you because by the time he finds out you posted negative, 90 days have passed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
little_red1 said:
I had a thought and decided to re-read every bit of information I could on the PayPal account and came across this:

Since today is the 22nd and neither of us have heard anything, what recourse will be taken now? Would I get my money back from PayPal who will get it from the seller?

I payed with shipping to an APO address and have heard (but haven't been able to verify myself) that APO addresses aren't covered by certain things from PayPal. Anyone know anything about this?
I actually can answer this. I sent a package to Canada a couple of months ago. The buyer made me ship it cheap ass save money way. Well the package got to the border and was sent back because some paperwork wasn't filled out. I didn't know about this untill he did what you did to me. Then he sent me an email and asked where the hell is my stuff. I went back to usps and asked and they said that they had the package just sitting around. WTF! Anyway, with 3 days left the guy got his package and the dispute was resolves. So yes, you should get your money back today, if not then call paypal and ask around

Moral of the story: FUCK USPS

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
little_red1 said:
Sweet! With any luck she won't reply and I'll get my money back soon!
Let us know if they do recover/refund yer money... Just cause you won the case... doesn't mean 100% that you'll be refunded...

In the future use a card that has the buyer protection built in... so that you can recoup yer monies that way as well...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
SCAM did not sell Apple IPOD as listed, imitation MP4 player packed in IPOD Box
Buyer
vagabonbo(25) Dec-24-06 330061770510

item never shipped. yet quick refund. thank you.
Buyer
msdadsc(11) Dec-24-06 330059652895

Does not respond to emails and have yet to rcv item for christmas, as needed!
Buyer
mjkzaspy(2) Dec-22-06 330061803096

Good Transaction, Thank You

this is his feed back u dident check it did u?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
12 Participants
little_red1
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing