TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you were to start out with a tacoma, and wanted to build an ECORS racer for the stock class, what would you do to it? Without cutting everything up.

I was thinking Camburg LT in the front, some sort of spring over leafs in the back, armor of course, 35s, winch, and reinforcing everything (cam tab gussets, shock tower, box rear frame, motor mounts, etc)

Anything you would add or take away?

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
One thought, do not race your daily driver! ... Its hard enough to keep it together from weekend wheeling events! :D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
a tow rig

·
Registered
356 Posts
33's (nothing with a weak sidewall - recommended something from interco)
tube bumpers/fender bars (no armor - too heavy)
good coilovers/leafs/shocks
full cage
suspension seats
5 point harnesses
helmet
firesuits
goggles
gloves
multiple fire extinguishers
upgraded steering (we are contemplating full hydro)
Good/fast winch
frame reinforcement
fullsize spare
removal of all glass/interior

If your after the complete pipe dream then...
air bumps all the way around
Long travel
super charger
beadlocks
on board air
ARBs

You can get away with a lot of big time mods for stock class which is what you will have to compete against. Taking your dd will result in being broke ($$$) and beaten (truck). I decided not to post the rest of my thoughts on this so not to sound like a complete @$$. Its a spendy hobby and worse than crawling/trail riding on my wallet...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have km2s, not the best sidewall but they would have to do.
I have a tube bumper in the rear, but a plate bumper up front.
Icons up front, but I will need a better leaf pack
full cage
Dont have. Is it totally and completely necessary?
suspension seats
Dont have
5 point harnesses
Dont have
helmet
I have a nice dirtbike helmet
firesuits
Would need to buy
goggles
Dirtbike goggles
gloves
Dirtbike gloves
Would need to buy
Would just run stock steering
Good/fast winch
Warn m8000?
frame reinforcement
Will do
fullsize spare
Will do
Probably not

If your after the complete pipe dream then...
air bumps all the way around
possibly
Long travel
possibly
super charger
beadlocks
on board air
ARB
In the front

You can get away with a lot of big time mods for stock class which is what you will have to compete against. Taking your dd will result in being broke ($$$) and beaten (truck). I decided not to post the rest of my thoughts on this so not to sound like a complete @$$. Its a spendy hobby and worse than crawling/trail riding on my wallet...
Im still just tossing the idea around. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
IMO it would be better to buy a RZR and race it than your daily driver

·
Registered
710 Posts
35" SSR's
in the works
BBCS, just need some air bumps
full cage
check
suspension seats
check
5 point harnesses
check
helmet
check
firesuits
need
goggles
check
gloves
check
need
check
Good/fast winch
sitting in my floor
frame reinforcement
nah
fullsize spare
check
check
So in theory I could be racing mine with little work. However, I don't have the funds to support this caliber of wheelin yet. Perhaps in a couple years I will.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Im still just tossing the idea around. Thanks for the help.
IMO it sounds like a terrible idea to race a DD. I'd hate to be your friends driving you all around town. lol

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Have you gone to a race? Have you checked out the website? The 'stock' class is not stock at all this year. IMO it's kinda a bad direction for the 'grass roots' racers. No way a DD can compete much less finish, but dream & post on. Zman is now in the stock class and was too slow for the Flats race!:eek: I trust he'll fix that for the next race though.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
If mark can be in the stock class surely the short bus can.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Have you gone to a race? Have you checked out the website? The 'stock' class is not stock at all this year. IMO it's kinda a bad direction for the 'grass roots' racers. No way a DD can compete much less finish, but dream & post on. Zman is now in the stock class and was too slow for the Flats race!:eek: I trust he'll fix that for the next race though.
This! We are only racing our toyota until our bronco is ready to run.
Full tube chassis mounted to a modified factory frame. Small block (working on acquiring a built built small block), built tranny, long travel twin traction beam front end, hopefully a set of deavers for back end, ford 9'' rear end with cutting brakes, full suspension seats and harnesses, arbs front and rear and probably a 2k set of custom RCV TTB shafts for the front. We are shooting for v8 power packed into something that weighs the same as Marc's ftoy... :eek: and this is class legal with a factory grill and a cut down hood!

If mark can be in the stock class surely the short bus can.....
It fits in stock class with a leaf sprung front end :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
IMO it would be better to buy a RZR and race it than your daily driver
We thought about buying and racing a rzr. After watching the rzrs race, you would be in it 25k to be competitive. These boys with rzrs take it more serious than the ultra 4 cars do that were in Class C. Custom cages, motor swaps, fully built rigs... Its a completely open class with zero restrictions...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't mean to sound harsh but if you RACE without a cage (I don't know that ECORS will even let you through tech without a good cage) then you're an idiot and shouldn't be racing in the first place!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't mean to sound harsh but if you RACE without a cage (I don't know that ECORS will even let you through tech without a good cage) then you're an idiot and shouldn't be racing in the first place!!!
You can pass tech without a cage. You are required to run a stock roof... :eek: If you run a cage you are required to have proper seats and harnesses. If you step up the safety in one place then they expect you to step it up everywhere. If you go with out a cage you can run stock seats and belts... yea umm pucker factor much?

Also, tech inspection is largely there as a gimmick. People were racing in Class C buggies with 3 - 4 inches of helmet sticking up through the top of the cage and no one said anything at tech. Not until after the race when we were looking at photos online did someone call out the ECORS guys on the issue even though its clearly stated in the rules whats acceptable for tubework/helmet fitment issues.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts