TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
100 Posts
Read back on posts

mnstr_trd said:
Does anyone have them? How are they performance wise? Should I get the TRD's instead? How much perferformance difference between the two?

Lots of info last week or two. ANY HEADERS ARE A PROBLEM AND $$ TO INSTALL. Headers only give you @ 12 HP. Best employed if you have S/C. I have TRD, mostly because of waranty and installation by dealership. Also have S/C plus...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
As I understand it, Elderbrocks are short tube headers which will give you more hp's in the higher rpm's. TRD's are long tube headers which provide more power in the lower/mid range rpm's. My TRD's don't give a whole lot more so I doubt you would feel the difference between the two anyway but I think in a truck, the low end power is more important. I justify the expense as preparation for a s/c some day. I may just live long enough. lol!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have had them on for about 3years and never had a problem with them.
they are a pain to put on but it can be done . i did mine on my own. what helps alot to put them on is one of those ratchet type wrenches.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you are not supercharged, don't bother with headers!!! You will not be happy with the performance gain for the amount of money you spend, and the whole time you have them you will be wishing you had just saved the money and applied it towards a super charger. Even if you save some $$ by choosing Edlebrock over TRD and install them yourself. What you will notice more than performance gains is noise in the cab. However, if you are dead set on installing headers, I think most of the guru's recomend sticking with TRD both for fit and performance.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I installed the Edlebrock headers on my 96 4Runner a long time ago. Generally I think that the Edlebrock headers are very crude, but do work. Once I got the stock system off and saw that the exhaust ports in the head are larger then the inlets of the Edlebrocks I was very hesitant in proceeding with the install. However, the stock system was destroyed in getting it off so I had no choice, they had to go on.

I have some details on the install on my site if you are interested.

There was a definate increase in performance even without the supercharger. The headers seemed to unstuff the exhaust and the engine just felt more lively.

I had them on the truck for 50,000 trouble free miles then I decided to remove them and upgrade to the TRD headers. The TRD headers were about the same increase in felt performance of the Edlebrocks as the Edlebrocks were over the stock system.

I did have a lot of problems with the TRD headers at first with leaks and such. I had to design and make my own gaskets to solve the problem. TRD has corrected the short commings with their headers and I think that now they are the best choice for headers on this engine.

When you put the TRD headers along side the Edlebrocks you can clearly see the crude nature of the Edlebrock headers, but yes they do work.

It is my recommendation that once you factor in the cost, extream hassle of the install and the limited performance gain, stay with the stock system. If you must install headers, install the TRD headers and leave the Edlebrock ones alone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes real sense guys, thanks! I am planning on SCing my rig soon. I just thought I could save some money on the Edelbrocks thinking that TRD's headers might be too much bling.

If they gave the same horsepower increase I thought that I might just go with the Edelbrocks. The look much easier to install than the TRD.

I know my way around wrenches, so I am going to try installing it myself. I was told that my bodylift might make it harder to take out the factory header so I'll just take a sawzall to it.

Gadget, did you feel and increase of HP when installing the TRD after the Edelbrocks?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the Edlebrock headers on my 96 4Runner a long time ago. Generally I think that the Edlebrock headers are very crude, but do work. Once I got the stock system off and saw that the exhaust ports in the head are larger then the inlets of the Edlebrocks I was very hesitant in proceeding with the install. However, the stock system was destroyed in getting it off so I had no choice, they had to go on.

I have some details on the install on my site if you are interested.

There was a definate increase in performance even without the supercharger. The headers seemed to unstuff the exhaust and the engine just felt more lively.

I had them on the truck for 50,000 trouble free miles then I decided to remove them and upgrade to the TRD headers. The TRD headers were about the same increase in felt performance of the Edlebrocks as the Edlebrocks were over the stock system.

I did have a lot of problems with the TRD headers at first with leaks and such. I had to design and make my own gaskets to solve the problem. TRD has corrected the short commings with their headers and I think that now they are the best choice for headers on this engine.

When you put the TRD headers along side the Edlebrocks you can clearly see the crude nature of the Edlebrock headers, but yes they do work.

It is my recommendation that once you factor in the cost, extream hassle of the install and the limited performance gain, stay with the stock system. If you must install headers, install the TRD headers and leave the Edlebrock ones alone.
I know this is old, but you still have the edelbrock headers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.