TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eezi-Awn 1600 Series 3 from Sierra Expeditions.

Sierra Expeditions - Welcome

Here it is sitting in my driveway. Setup takes only a couple of minutes, unlike my old ground tent. This thing is heavy duty, Mil-Spec construction all around, and has a queen size mattress.
This thing is going to make those post-trail, late night camps a breeze as well as early mornings breaking camp after a few brews.

I really like how all the windows and screens zip out for max airflow. Zippers are all well sewn and heavy duty.

Getting it mounted to my standards is the next challenge, I'll hit up Jason next week with my rack ideas... Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I've always thought that the idea of having your tent mounted to the truck like that was a good one.

10 minutes to setup. 10 minutes to knock down.

No snakes in your sleeping bag.

No flood water running through your tent.

No stakes to come out of the ground when the wind blows.

Not very practical for somebody that spends two or three nights a year in a tent, but if you're going to be on the trail for a whole week it would definitly be the cat's ass!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am looking forward to the rack design you end up with. I would love to have a tent similar to that but have been waiting to determine what the best mounting solution will be. :welder:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rack Examples

Here are some racks I'm using for inspiration :kewl:

Brittan's rack keeps the tent low, I like this "tucked" style.
http://homepage.mac.com/brittansmith/PhotoAlbum17.html

This is Pasquale's setup. I like the way his rack and entire bed are tied together for maximum useability. My bed configuration will end up similar to this.
http://homepage.mac.com/desertdude/PhotoAlbum133.html

Here is Mark's setup, using a CanBack as the foundation for his Eezi-Awn.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941&page=7

The tricky part for me is tying in the rack to the composite bed. More than likely will have it tie in the the bed bolts/frame.

·
Registered
132 Posts
that tent looks awesome. how well would that work to have it connected to a yakima rack system on top of the cab.. and have the ladder/entrance side come down on to the bed? hmm...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
teamblend said:
that tent looks awesome. how well would that work to have it connected to a yakima rack system on top of the cab.. and have the ladder/entrance side come down on to the bed? hmm...
I wouldnt want to place that much weight on the roof, thats why I'm going with a custom rack.

Here's a nice setup... I think I know this guy too ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
TACODOC,

You had asked about my rack a while ago, I posted some pics for someone else to see as well, so hopefully this will help give you some ideas.

http://community.webshots.com/album/556104877JOmkqc

Let me know if you have any questions or need a hand, and thanks for your info on the ARB Bumper, it took about 30 minutes to correct the problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
TACODOC said:
I wouldnt want to place that much weight on the roof, thats why I'm going with a custom rack.

Here's a nice setup... I think I know this guy too ;)

hmm.. good point.. i think they said it can be done.. might have to go with a 3 bar setup tho.. which wouldnt cost too much more money...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
it is going to be fun late at night trying to get up and down that ladder waster and ahve to take a midnight pee.
A funnel, some plastic tubing, and a strategically drilled hole in the floor should take care of that issue.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
it is going to be fun late at night trying to get up and down that ladder waster and ahve to take a midnight pee.

That is what wide mouth nageline bottles are for :D Try it at -40*F and blizzard conditions (Ft Greely, AK) Burrrrrrrr

cell4soul said:
TACODOC,

You had asked about my rack a while ago, I posted some pics for someone else to see as well, so hopefully this will help give you some ideas.

http://community.webshots.com/album/556104877JOmkqc

Let me know if you have any questions or need a hand, and thanks for your info on the ARB Bumper, it took about 30 minutes to correct the problem.
That is an awesome set up. I like the way that you designed it to just slide out using the factory anchor points but have it set up to have the load rest on the bed itself. Looks stout. Did the anybody give you any grief about the ammo cans at the borders on your adventure down south?? they make about some of the cheapest, strongest and waterproof storage that you can find...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, the ammo cans are great, I keep a full set of tools, first aide, tie downs and other stuff in them, all locked and water proof. The nice thing is I don't have to load my tools and everything on the truck everytime I want to hit the road, the truck is ready 24/7. The ammo boxes were definitely the main reason I was stopped by the military in various countries, but it was never a big ordeal, they were always really cool and were more curious than anything. The one thing I need to do with the rack is find a permanent way to mount the shovel and Hi-lift, they work ok like they are, but could be better.....I already have some ideas, just need a little time.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Super Doody said:
hey is another camper idea:

http://thesupercamper.blogspot.com

built by pro surf holly beck and her bf.
That is a great camper, a lot of work and purpose built. I would be curious to see how it is after several trips. I like the idea of the rear door. Looks like it might be kind of heavy though...probably a lot more camper than what some would be looking for on a trail rig, but it would be nice if you were gonna be spending a lot of time some some where like I am sure they do on the coast...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
TACODOC said:
That supercamper is very cool, lots of time and money invested.

But, I wonder how that would hold up with hard trail use and lots of washboard roads...

yeah...you really really need to upgrade the suspension.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts