TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
My friend has offered his 91 toyota 6 cyl 4x4 truck to me for free!! this is of course not as good as it sounds, it is not pretty (read rusty) but the frame is good and I feel that it will be a usable truck for my son to learn how to wrench on a truck. I can manage most problems but the first one has the potential to be expensive I think. The 15 amp fuse for the EFI keeps blowing so I jumped it out and put my clamp on ammeter on it and it pulled 45 amps of course I tried to keep this as short as posible but those damn electrons still seem to be faster than me!! My question is does anyone have any idea which direction I should go with this i would like to try and start with the least expensive and move on up from there I am sure there are a number of magic boxes or modules that are involved but maybe its quick fix. Ah if only I knew what the hell I was doing!!

Thanks Toothy

·
Registered
871 Posts

Check the oxygen sensor near the cat converter. The wiring is long enough to sit on the pipe and melt, shorting the power and blowing up the fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts I feel that it is not a ground not a hard one at least as it pulls 45 amps this would be a lot more if it were a hard ground! After a few more questions with the current owner it seems that the time for the fuse to blow has been getting shorter used to be 10 sec now it down to right away so may be a fuel pump or somthing like it??

·
Registered
871 Posts
The fuse blows right away when the key is at "on" or at "start"? The fuel pump relay doesn't turn the pump on until the key is at start.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Depends on "how" it is bad and where ... the EFI computer is pretty sensitive to voltage differences, so strange things can happen if there's a bad ground. The potential for a short is higher on an older, rustier truck (take it from someone who bought their rig in Ohio)

·
Registered
241 Posts
According to my schematic the EFI fuse taps off of a 30A fuseable link.
The only thing on the EFI fuse are the EFI comp and EFI main relay.
On the output side of the relay are a number of things:Ckt opening rly, O2 sensor, AFM, some VSV's ...

I'd stick an ohmmeter from the fuse holder (circuit side, not batt side) to ground, you should be able to see the short. Then start unplugging the things on the fuse until the short disappears. Then you'll be real close.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey everyone - i just wanted to add that the above posts helped me out - I had the sensor wire short out on the exhaust and it kept blowing my EFI fuse. So, thanks!

:xbeer1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.