TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Supercharged Tacoma. I installed an EGT and boost gauge when I first got it. I put the thermocouple on the header as close to the engine block as I could. What kind of EGTs are guys seeing when they talk about supercharged tacoma running too lean at high RPM and burning valves and stuff up? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
EGT Temps

Gadgets site said Magnuson rep said 1450 is ideal max temp for the 3.4 engine. I normally run about 1400 cruising and a little higher at WOT. I am running water injection, so I'm sure my max would be much higher without it.
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
609 Posts
palmerm said:
I have an 01 Supercharged Tacoma. I installed an EGT and boost gauge when I first got it. I put the thermocouple on the header as close to the engine block as I could. What kind of EGTs are guys seeing when they talk about supercharged tacoma running too lean at high RPM and burning valves and stuff up? Thanks!
I run the 2.2" pulley and fuel mods. At WOT for 1 minute or more and my temps creep into 1600*. I am tuned at an AFR of 11.8 at that point. I usually back off when I reach that high for fear of damage. I guess you have to find out the hard way what is too much since I have heard so many different answers myself. I would take it as a clue that since most gauges don't go much over 16-1700* you shouldn't run that hard either. Have you done any upgrades yet? The 1450* is the optimal power temp for our engines though if that helps you. Also don't rely on the EGT's as an AF meter. It is in no way an accurate reading of you AFR's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
SC01SRUNNER said:
Gadgets site said Magnuson rep said 1450 is ideal max temp for the 3.4 engine. I normally run about 1400 cruising and a little higher at WOT. I am running water injection, so I'm sure my max would be much higher without it.
This is kind of unrelated to the topic, but what is the purpose of water injection? Does it just increase compression, are there any ill affects from this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
BLT2RCKTRD said:
This is kind of unrelated to the topic, but what is the purpose of water injection? Does it just increase compression, are there any ill affects from this?
Hey Travis,
Water injection works by taking the higher temp's due to the higher pressures from the charger and adds more dense air into the combustion chamber to provide a higher content of oxygen for the fuel to burn. Thus, giving you the capability of adding smaller pulleys since it keeps the temperatures down and it basically increases the octane of the fuel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,934 Posts
What?? If you really don't know, please do not pass on false and misleading information. While water injection does cool, it does so by absorbing heat from the intake charge when it changes state from a liquid to steam, it has nothing to do with the octane rating of the fuel, none, nada, zip. It does not add oxygen either, if anything the water itself takes up volume that could otherwise be occupied by more fuel and air which does contain appx. 20% oxygen. You can only release oxygen from water though an atomic reaction or some sort or electrolysis. The last I checked, nothing related to atomic energy was on offer from the automotive after market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Dick Foster said:
What?? If you really don't know, please do not pass on false and misleading information. While water injection does cool, it does so by absorbing heat from the intake charge when it changes state from a liquid to steam, it has nothing to do with the octane rating of the fuel, none, nada, zip. It does not add oxygen either, if anything the water itself takes up volume that could otherwise be occupied by more fuel and air which does contain appx. 20% oxygen. You can only release oxygen from water though an atomic reaction or some sort or electrolysis. The last I checked, nothing related to atomic energy was on offer from the automotive after market.
Corrct...water injection helps slow down the flame front in the cylinder which mimics higher octane.

As for EGT temps...STOCK when i had the EGT probe before S/C it was hitting 1450 at wot...so i made the same EGT's with the s/c as i figured that toyota made the most power at that level anyway :)
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top