·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any El Paso people here been wanting do a trail with Toyota trucks only

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm from Las Cruces (30-40 miles North of El Paso). You ever heard of the Chili Challenge? It's at the end of February, and has some pretty wild trails. I'd like to make it, but 11 hours in my truck is pretty miserable...but with better plans and a better rig, I'd be up for the drive next year.

That would be fun, but one Hell of a weekend drive....

Hey Joe.....

A trip thru Big Bend area on "the trip out west" perhaps?
We should start a thread on a big bend trip coming up sometime in April/May ish. I think my family/friends are so far shooting for the 1st week of April...anytime later and it is unbearably hot during the day. We can talk more about this at the meeting tonight..

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm from Las Cruces (30-40 miles North of El Paso). You ever heard of the Chili Challenge? It's at the end of February, and has some pretty wild trails. I'd like to make it, but 11 hours in my truck is pretty miserable...but with better plans and a better rig, I'd be up for the drive next year.

We should start a thread on a big bend trip coming up sometime in April/May ish. I think my family/friends are so far shooting for the 1st week of April...anytime later and it is unbearably hot during the day. We can talk more about this at the meeting tonight..
I was out in las Cruces last month for a "meeting" and I will have another "meeting" in February maybe I can convince them to have the meeting on that week. haha. I have heard of the Chili Challenge but unfortunately I won't have my truck that week way to long to drive when the company buys me a plane ticket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea ive been to the challenge but my truck wont be ready for this years

·
Registered
205 Posts

Are you talking about Big Bend Nat'l Park? If so, the so called 4wd roads there are really no challenge. Just a lot of awesome scenery. Or do you know of some other public trails in the area? Several years ago, I attended a real off road event called The Big Bend Bash, held on private property west of the park. Now that was some challenging wheeling!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are you talking about Big Bend Nat'l Park? If so, the so called 4wd roads there are really no challenge. Just a lot of awesome scenery. Or do you know of some other public trails in the area? Several years ago, I attended a real off road event called The Big Bend Bash, held on private property west of the park. Now that was some challenging wheeling!
I've been making yearly trips with a few friends/family to keep tabs on some land in Terlingua. I enjoy going for the scenery, and it gives me a chance to throw down some :xbeer3: with by buds, and make improvements to the shelter we built. I would really like to find more more challenging 4x4 trails there. Black gap trail is the most 'challenging' primitive trail they have, and I went through it in 2 wheel last time. Some of the service roads are challenging, but totally illegal to be riding on in the park. I know there are trails in the surrounding area, just have no clue where. I need to do some major research, or have someone come along who knows the area.

It's a far drive for not so great wheelin', but for me its more a matter of getting the hell out of Houston for a few days.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been making yearly trips with a few friends/family to keep tabs on some land in Terlingua. I enjoy going for the scenery, and it gives me a chance to throw down some :xbeer3: with by buds, and make improvements to the shelter we built. I would really like to find more more challenging 4x4 trails there. Black gap trail is the most 'challenging' primitive trail they have, and I went through it in 2 wheel last time. Some of the service roads are challenging, but totally illegal to be riding on in the park. I know there are trails in the surrounding area, just have no clue where. I need to do some major research, or have someone come along who knows the area.

It's a far drive for not so great wheelin', but for me its more a matter of getting the hell out of Houston for a few days.
Yeah, the Black Gap road, which is on the "not recommended" list, is really easy for an experienced off roader. The Big Bend area is one of my favorite areas. When I was younger, I spent many a nights backpacking the Chisos Mountains. I've had the pleasure of visiting the area during every season and every month of the year. I even enjoyed it on a motorcycle one spring.

I've been trying to find another off road event out there, but have not been able to. Maybe one day... The problem is that all the challenging trails are on private ranches, closed to the public.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, the Black Gap road, which is on the "not recommended" list, is really easy for an experienced off roader. The Big Bend area is one of my favorite areas. When I was younger, I spent many a nights backpacking the Chisos Mountains. I've had the pleasure of visiting the area during every season and every month of the year. I even enjoyed it on a motorcycle one spring.

I've been trying to find another off road event out there, but have not been able to. Maybe one day... The problem is that all the challenging trails are on private ranches, closed to the public.
Using the google, I've managed to find some information about trails in Big Bend Ranch State Park, which is just east of the national park..I've never been to this area, though I have planned to go before just never had time. see this guy's thread:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/big-bend-ranch-state-park-qa/4x4-in-bbrsp-t6691.0.html

And according to their map they have alot of 4x4 trails leading to camp sites:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/big_bend_ranch/map/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Using the google, I've managed to find some information about trails in Big Bend Ranch State Park, which is just east of the national park..I've never been to this area, though I have planned to go before just never had time. see this guy's thread:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/big-bend-ranch-state-park-qa/4x4-in-bbrsp-t6691.0.html

And according to their map they have alot of 4x4 trails leading to camp sites:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/big_bend_ranch/map/
I was just up at Big Bend over late December. The trails in Big Bend arent very challenging but very scenic. Didn't make it to the Big bend ranch but it looked like it had some good trails. We stayed in Lajitas which is next to the park, would rather camp next time maybe. If you get a group togeteher it would be fun to check it out sometime soon.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i live one the westside, i would love to go out and tear it up! there are 3 of us here in el paso but a lot of my buddies live in cruces. there is Juando pass in anthony that would be ideal for a halfway meeting for a trail ride!
PM me your info so we could get together and wheel!

Barnabie

·
Registered
676 Posts
i live one the westside, i would love to go out and tear it up! there are 3 of us here in el paso but a lot of my buddies live in cruces. there is Juando pass in anthony that would be ideal for a halfway meeting for a trail ride!
PM me your info so we could get together and wheel!

Barnabie
Now there's only 3? There were 5 of you on the other thread. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not sure, i think i can barely count!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts