TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have already done the deck plate mod and just for shits and gigs I was gunna do the elbow mod But I didn't really like the idea of just removing the elbow cause when I did that I ended up with a gap between my airbox and the fender hole.

I realize the this is supposed to be one of those 5 min jobs for some quick power/gas mileage or just to help the engine breath better. well I added about 10 more min to the job and its not as reversible but for my application I like it better. Ill let the pictures talk from here.

What I'm about to remove

Elbows out

After elbow removal......unsightly gap

My solution

Choose to cut the elbow after this little tab to help it stay in place

REINSTALLED

Looking up right behind my bumper under splash guard

Questions, comments, concerns?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you got them all dell. I wasn't saying my way was better or that I will see more gains than somebody who did it the other way (hence why I didn't claim any gains). I just didn't like the gap visually and was concerned I would be pullin in hot engine air.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
sorry for the harassment... was just in fun. :)

But in reality...

cutting off the elbow is probably worse then leaving it alone.
Now the water has a more direct flow... versus having to flow thru a 90* first.

So I guess I really don't see what it is you were trying to accomplish. ?

Now if you had managed to make a 90* out from the box and attach a snorkel to that... then that'd be something worthy. ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for the harassment... was just in fun. :)

But in reality...

cutting off the elbow is probably worse then leaving it alone.
Now the water has a more direct flow... versus having to flow thru a 90* first.

So I guess I really don't see what it is you were trying to accomplish. ?

Now if you had managed to make a 90* out from the box and attach a snorkel to that... then that'd be something worthy. ;)
Well I dont do many water crossings but if i do I guess I'll have to pay special mind to it. what I was trying to accomplish was the "elbow" mod that so many people post about but without the gap.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well I dont do many water crossings but if i do I guess I'll have to pay special mind to it. what I was trying to accomplish was the "elbow" mod that so many people post about but without the gap.
I did the same thing a while back...I bought an additional elbow for cheap and cut it so that there wouldn't be a gap as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I thought that was the way it was supposed to be done in the first place. :dunno: Thats how I was told to do it about a year ago. Gadget even has it on his site that thats what you're supposed to do. No offense, but thats nothing new.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah I did the same thing on my Tacoma, Just thought it would bring in more cooler air from the outside rather than having that gap and it sucking in more engine compartment hot air...Works fine for me..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts