TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. Ive drawn up a diagram of how I have things set up. The High speed works fine but I cant get the VSC to kick on the low speed. When I put a Jumper on pins 10,11 The fan runs so im kinda guessing that the Temp senosrs bad? but I never used this controller before so I think DOA is unlikely.

The reasion for the gay ground setup is that the High speed didnt want to ground through the VSC and you had to ground the low speed through the VSC. So I had to find a way to split it up.

Hopefully I can get this sorted out soon.

Andy

·
Registered
871 Posts
What is the part number for the Flex-a-light Variable Speed Controller? I don't think it is designed for two speed fans.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Andy - Hook the variable out from the vsc to the high side of the fan and see if that works. If it does, then hook up your "on" switch to the #8 terminal of the vsc.[/URL]
If I hook up my on switch to #8 then it will run all the time since it will think my AC is on.

Also I noticed your link is a diagram for 31149, and the PN I have is 31165. so thoes directions dont apply

Anyone have any other ideas. remember the high draws 33 amps @100% that controller is only rated at 25-30 amps.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~dickfoster/Pics/Taurus Fan Wiring.pdf

You should not run the high speed through the temp controller. It will blow the relay. Run a 3 position switch so the high speed run independent of the temp controller like shown in the above link. And remember that the high speed may run at 33amps but it spikes well over that on initial start up.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Are you dead set on running with a controller that is under rated for the job? :rolleyes: If so, my opinion is you should wire it like the taurus fan is only one speed, and pick the low speed wires to run with that controller and hope the low speed is fast enough to keep her cool.

As a backup you could then wire a competely seperate circuit directly to the battery (with relays, and a dash switch) that will run the fan on high if you need more in a pinch. You'd probably have to use an on-off-on toggle switch so either the low speed (with controller) is on or the high speed (manual) is on or both are off (handy for high water crossings)

I have a similar set up with a 2-speed Taurus fan myself but the low speed is the "manual on" back-up and the high speed is wired to a DCC controller FK35 http://www.dccontrol.com/index.htm (which I highly recommend).

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
the low speed on the fan is more than enough to keep the 3.4 cool in 100 degree heat here in TX. I just run the high speed in city traffic when I want the A/C to blow colder.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
the low speed on the fan is more than enough to keep the 3.4 cool in 100 degree heat here in TX. I just run the high speed in city traffic when I want the A/C to blow colder.
That's good to hear, I've yet to test mine in 100 degree heat (installed last fall). The DCC controller varies the fan speed based on temp anyway so with it might as well go to the high speed and let the system have a faster option if needed. ;)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys arnt listenting to me or arnt looking at my diagram. IM RUNNING THE LOW SPEED W/THE CONTROLER and the High speed is switched w/a 40A relay. I turned down the other guys idea of using the controler to run the high speed.

Yes I do have the controler already so I want to use it for the LOW speed.

Andy

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You guys arnt listenting to me or arnt looking at my diagram.

Andy
Yeah as soon as I saw you had both the 86 and 87 pins on your relays going to ground I gave up on it. I don't see how that would work, but I'm no EE God. :D

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The reasion for the gay ground setup is that the High speed didnt want to ground through the VSC and you had to ground the low speed through the VSC.
Why would you want to ground the high speed through the low speed controller anyway? I'd just make it a competely seperate circuit, with the only thing in common with the low side being a on-off-on toggle switch.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ok I think I may see the problem, you're trying to switch the ground side right? But the switch (I guess its a toggle switch labeled Hi and auto) isn't connected to the ground side of the battery is it?

Its like you've got a mix of a positive switch system and a ground switch system.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wire yours up like the diagram i posted and it will work.
I beg to differ. I tried the "easy way" first I think Dick's write up is ment for a dumber/smarter controller. anyhow for mine to function it supplys power and must recieve the ground from the power its giving. So It wont function for the high speed taht way.

Andy

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I think I may see the problem, you're trying to switch the ground side right? But the switch (I guess its a toggle switch labeled Hi and auto) isn't connected to the ground side of the battery is it?

Its like you've got a mix of a positive switch system and a ground switch system.
Im attempting to use relays to direct the fans common ground different places for different modes of opperation. for example when on High. the switch trigers a relay that supplys 12v to the fan. that same switch trigers another relay that grounds the fan to the firewall. When on auto the switch trigers the controllor to trun on and power the low spd. it also trigers a relay that grounds through the controllor before grounding to the fender.

Seems like for the controller to operate power goes in #4, out to fan from #3, the fan then grounds into #2 and then the controller grounds to the fender from #1. Lost yet?

Andy

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Yes they are, you just didn't look at the schematic.
Take you shit and rip it out altogether, start again and follow the schematic carefully to do it right this time.
The switch I used has a center off positon so you can shut the fan off for water crossings. Auto control just controls the low speed side while hi speed is under manual control only.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If you want it to work, just follow the schematic that was posted to you and quit trying to make your mess work. Do over.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts