TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started about a month ago, truck wouldn't want to start. After about two weeks of being jumped off and tapping the starter I got tired of it, replaced the battery and starter on Saturday.
Sunday rolls around works fine.
This morning I get up to go to work, what ya know, truck won't start. Battery is hot, starter is new, all connections cleaned, checked all the fuses, still nothing. The lights on the dash barely come on, when I turn the key they either, shut off or there is a buzzing sound from under the dash.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the long read.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
Bad ground? Bad relay? Bad ignition? Check fuses under the dash and hood?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just started out of nowhere. I ordered a new ignition, it was 167$, I'm hoping it was that, cause all the electronics were acting crazy. Relays are next. Just wondering what yall though.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Im betting ground somewhere.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
just had this issue. originally i thought it was the battery, so I had it tested and it ended being the battery was bad even though it was only a few months old. figured i would be good to go with the new battery.

the next day it worked fine like yours did but the day after it wouldnt start again. my alternator started sounding like a supercharger, and the voltage wasnt reading above 12V with the engine on. had the alternator tested at autozone and they said it was bad.

new alternator and havent had a problem since.

take your truck to autozone and have them test your alternator. i would bet money thats what it is. same EXACT symptoms I had

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see how the alternator would be the culprit, I can put a new battery in with a fresh charge and it does the same thing.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I don't see how the alternator would be the culprit, I can put a new battery in with a fresh charge and it does the same thing.

never know, alternators do wierd things when they go bad. I just know I had the exact same thing happen to me and it was the alternator

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay ill try that next

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do all your gages go off when you turn the key? is there a click that sounds like it comes from the passenger kick panel? Check you're battery ground, both if you have two. I had a similar issue a few years back and replaced my starter relay with a Hot Shot Starter relay, I think it was from Painless Wireless. I haven't had the problem since. The low lights before turning the key sounds more like a bad ground or connection though.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so part of the problem was my actual key. The lock mechanism wasn't functioning properly. The other part was a broken ground behind the dash

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
well i was wrong! oh well, weird how our symptoms were the exact same though

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that's pretty strange

1 - 14 of 14 Posts