TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
taco won't start HELPPPP!!

Ok this is the deal. I'm working on a new set up for my Intake, I'm running the air filter inside the cab, right behing the glove box, so to make room i took off all the heating and ac crap that is behind the dash, can my truck still run without all that stuff? lots of electrical shiat. what can i get rid off and what do i need to keep in order for my truck to run? can i overpass it?

thanks.

Oz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It looks like its not going to run too good, with no mass air flow sensor, Or else i just cant see it. And its a Toyota, if that electical shiat and hookep up right its not going to run right, your PCM is probally having a meltdown

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bostedo123 said:
It looks like its not going to run too good, with no mass air flow sensor, Or else i just cant see it. And its a Toyota, if that electical shiat and hookep up right its not going to run right, your PCM is probally having a meltdown

if you look right below the air filter you can see the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As far as I know your truck should run with out the A/C and heating stuff. Now in the process of taken all the wiring from you A/C heating perhaps you also disconnected something else?
The best thing to do is trace the wires you already removed and see what you disconnected (I know is a PITA).

Good luck.

FS.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pathtaco said:
As far as I know your truck should run with out the A/C and heating stuff. Now in the process of taken all the wiring from you A/C heating perhaps you also disconnected something else?
The best thing to do is trace the wires you already removed and see what you disconnected (I know is a PITA).

Good luck.

FS.
thanks, I'm in that process right now, i just want to make sure if i remove all that stuff is going to run.

Oz.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Fire it up and start snipping. You'll find out quick enough and then will know what to reconnect if it's a prob. AC/heater stuff should be separate but we are talking Toyota.

Edit - Sorry, missed the title.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bb609 said:
Fire it up and start snipping. You'll find out quick enough and then will know what to reconnect if it's a prob. AC/heater stuff should be separate but we are talking Toyota.

Edit - Sorry, missed the title.....
well while i was unplugging stuff i kept turning on the truck, she started it after i was done unplugging everything, so i left it there that nite, but next day i went to finish and she wouldn't start. once in a while she would start but die right away.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
oztaco said:
well while i was unplugging stuff i kept turning on the truck, she started it after i was done unplugging everything, so i left it there that nite, but next day i went to finish and she wouldn't start. once in a while she would start but die right away.
Any better luck today? I wonder, since you moved your MAF, maybe check the wiring there? Could be something loose? That fact that it starts at all means what you have cut out is not the problem or, a loose one grounding out intermittently, or ??? Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure if this applies to the toyos, But I've had some experience with moving intakes.

I installed a LT-1 corvette engine in a S-10. It was a later model with Mass Air. Of course the intake had to run all sorts of ways differently from vehicle to vehicle.

After problems, some GM swap guys informed me that moving the maf sensor really messes up the computers readings. The simple solution was to convert to a speed density setup of an earlier LT-1. Otherwise, you could possibly go through several reprogrammings.

Maybe you'll have issues and need to move the MAF to the stock position, or you can reflash the comp. I don't think it mattered how the intake ran from filter to maf, just maf to engine. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bb609 said:
Any better luck today? I wonder, since you moved your MAF, maybe check the wiring there? Could be something loose? That fact that it starts at all means what you have cut out is not the problem or, a loose one grounding out intermittently, or ??? Good luck.
no luck yet, i got a scanner so i'm gonna read my codes tomorrow. we'll see what that tells me, i'm thinking with all the moving around maybe my MAF got screwed up.
thanks.

Oz.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6vamocat said:
Not sure if this applies to the toyos, But I've had some experience with moving intakes.

I installed a LT-1 corvette engine in a S-10. It was a later model with Mass Air. Of course the intake had to run all sorts of ways differently from vehicle to vehicle.

After problems, some GM swap guys informed me that moving the maf sensor really messes up the computers readings. The simple solution was to convert to a speed density setup of an earlier LT-1. Otherwise, you could possibly go through several reprogrammings.

Maybe you'll have issues and need to move the MAF to the stock position, or you can reflash the comp. I don't think it mattered how the intake ran from filter to maf, just maf to engine. Just a heads up.
yeah i'm thinking that is something related to my maf, i'll check it out once i read my codes. how can you reflash the comp.???

thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not sure with toyota computers. I'm sure someone here does...like gadget.
With the lt-1 computer, a gm delarship could only reprogram it within certain parameters. There were companies that did the programming for you if you sent them your computer...big pain since trial and error tuning could mean months of shipping. Then there are programs for your laptop with cables to interface with your ecu. But check your codes first. If they are maf related, try relocating it to stock before you assume damage. Either way, best of luck. I hope you don't need a new one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hey oz im in bensenville and can stop by to give you a hand with it bob(98taco) has got my number if you get a hold of him.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
you are such a biacth LOl
I need your help with my gauges and then you can help OZ
jk

I loaned OZ my scanner tool and Toyota FSM books for him to check his truck out
maybe he will need a foreign car tech to get his taco out of the garage LOL
GOOD LUCK OZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the help, i figured out tonite,
when i moved the maf inside, i moved the igniter as well, the problem was the the igniter needs to be ground and i didn't ground it inside the cab.
i tried grounding it before but i think i didn't use a good gage wire.

mangelo, thanks for the offer, common over one day with bob and we can wrench and have some beers.

Oz.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BEERS! im there

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
Bud light? I am there! NOT!!! LOL
I think we can help OZ and have some quality beers!~!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts