TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, this isn't for a taco, but maybe some of you electrical gurus can help.

On a 96 Explorer(4.0 V6), we can't get the battery to stay charged. I had a friend change the alternator and put a new battery in it. WHen I got over there to check it out, the battery voltage was only about 12 volts (should be about 14.4). There was continuity b/t the alt and battery, so I removed the alt and exchanged it under warranty. I had them test the old(new) one and it was putting out the proper volts on their machine so I was a little stumped.

I got back and put the new alt in and fired the truck up. There was still only ~12 volts at the battery. I checked the output at the alt and it was giving me an inconsistent range of voltages from 1.2 mV------12 volts.

Well, the truck is dying again because the battery won't stay charged, so I need some suggestions/ advice. Why won't the alt put out the correct voltage when installed, but it will on the test bench?????? Is there some other component that I need to be looking at??? Help!!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
check for loose grounds and also check to make sure all connections are clean on both positive and negative sides.

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
thats where I would start. check grounds check grounds check grounds

I had the same problem on my 4runr and I traced the ground wire from the battery, it was going to the fender. I put the ground on the engine and that fixed my problem.

hope that gets you somewhere Steve. if your conections are all good and your ground is good. then I don't know where else to lead you.

oh ya one more thing, have the battery tested. I have bought a new battery that wan not good before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts