TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 22RE truck that runs really well except one little electrical issue. If you go and crank the truck up it runs great, but if you turn the lights on the tach will jump a little and it might idle rough for just a sec and then smooth out but if you then need the defrosters or the windshield wipers it will die. If you are driving down the road (higher RPM) and you turn other items on after the lights the truck will start running like hell. I blamed all this on a bad alternator/voltage regulator but $175 later and a new one it still does the same thing. Even a load from the power steering pump while turning really sharp will kill the motor. I am beginning to think that the alternator is having to carry the electrical load, which it can not do as a result of a bad battery even though it cranks hotter than a pistol? I use this truck as a hunting rig and it rarely sees pavement so all of these things are happeing while easing around in the woods or going down a dirt road (no real highway speeds). I am really confused by this little problem I am having so any help would be appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check your grounds and any major connections/cables/wires. Sounds like something might not be grounded well and like you said is causing it to rely too much on the alt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I brought the battery home to have it checked/replaced. Could the ground that runs from the fender to the ground cable on the battery give you that big of a problem? I noticed it looked like hell when I took the battery out but I have had vehicles that do not even run this ground with no problems so I didn't think much about it. Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming.
Matt

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Umm - YEAH - that's THE ground for the ENTIRE body of the truck (which most other things are grounded to). There's also one to the block and one to the frame (the big three) - be sure to check them also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
RedRunnertc
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing