TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody set up an electric fan from another vehichle onto there tacoma. Should I go to the junkyard or fabricate my own. I'm entering my final year of engineering and with senior design projects my mind is going wild.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know an electric fan will free up a lot of horse power, and give you better gas mileage, but if you still have a warranty will it void it? Do you know if toyota has a fan kit? How many people have you heard of doing this? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My stock fan's clutch got "stuck on" several weeks after I bought the truck. Even in the freezing cold the fan runs. An electric fan is definitely better but remember the 'ol conservation of energy law...the energy to drive that fan is still coming from your engine. It's putting more strain on the alternator, which is obviously driven by the engine. Some people will reply to my post saying I'm an idiot for thinking there's any such thing as conservation of energy or that the alternator is not driven by the engine or something but I'm quite sure I'm right as usual :)

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mike,
That setup looks very sweet. I am thinking about replicating it. Do you think you could post the schematic since it says the image cannot be viewed? I really like the relay setup and everything...very professional installation. You could probably market that setup!
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
97TacoDude said:
but I'm quite sure I'm right as usual :)
OMFG!!!!!! Now I see what arrogance I am dealing with on the other thread. Wow!!!! :eek:

Driven by the alternator, yes! so still using energy, but will it be on all the time,.. NO!!!!. Most of the time electric fans are switched on by a temp sensor. No need to have it on when you are driving at higher speeds as the air flow due to the velocity of the vehicle is blowing through the radiator already. In a mechanical set up whether the clutch is on or off there is still some drag on the engine and thus using up hp. That is when the energy is being saved, not by simply replacing and electric in place of a mechanical and letting it run all the time.

I just call it like I see it and from your other posts I take it you wont take this criticism lightly, especially when proven wrong.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Mikevr007 said:
I installed dual 14" fans in my '04. I made a shroud to fit over the entire radiator and mounted the fans diagonally. You can definitely feel the difference. I've picked up about 2.5 mpg's. You can see some pictures at http://toyotatruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten-id-3439-album-6783
Damn that does look nice. Good job. I was thinking of doing something like that, but you have given me some better ideas. Cool set up.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Good lord...

when the electric fan IS RUNNING, it is using the same or more engine as a mechanical fan. Do I have to spoon feed you the obvious? You have not proven anyone wrong, you just pontificate the obvious..over and over again...

and did I not say that an electric fan is definitely better?

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Yes all knowing one, please spoon feed me your vast knowledge especially when it comes to contradictions like that.

I was just clarifying the contradicting type of information someone may take from your post. However I was eluding to your arrogant attitude when it comes to any kind of criticism. As in the supercharger thread.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ohhhhhh boy... here we go again... :xpopcorn:

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
I used to want an electric fan until, I was out on the trail with someone that had an electric fan. For some reason the fan motor decided to burn up, which casued some over heating problems. I'm not sure about the electric fan mod now.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well at least the moderators on this board aren't a bunch of pansies like on some boards. They apparently let the poo hit the fan and sit back and watch it splatters on the walls...pretty cool actually.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm wondering... Do you guys have your 2005 fishing licenses?? 'Cause you're CARPING. And I woulgd not want the DFG to give you tickets!! ;)

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Ted said:
I used to want an electric fan until, I was out on the trail with someone that had an electric fan. For some reason the fan motor decided to burn up, which casued some over heating problems. I'm not sure about the electric fan mod now.
Yeah, that is something to consider and I was worried about it too. That is why I like Mike’s set up. It has two fans with individual motors. The likelihood of both going out at the same time is much less. If one goes out you will still have 50% of the air flow through the radiator. Also unlike the flex-a-lite it is wired up individually so if one goes due to a short in the power path it will not take the other one out in the process. That and the faxt that he has 2 14” whereas the FAL has 2 12” fans.

·
Rock Vapor
170 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Basically, what I did was bought two Imerial fans (made by Hayden), part no. 226114. They were $70 each. Then I bought Imperial part no. 226206 which is a preset thermal switch with a probe that will go through the radiator a few inches below the top hose. 226206 also comes with a relay and a harness, it costs about $26. I did not use the harness. I then bought a 4 position fuse block from a local auto parts store, about $3. I already had two relays from other projects, otherwise I would have had to buy two. Lastly, I bought two 30 amp switches with LED's, about $5 each. I then had to figure out how to wire the relays to get the functions I wanted. There may be a better way to do it, but my current configuration works.
I made a shroud out of two anodized steel shelves from an old equipment cabinet. Although I intended this shroud to be temporary, it is sturdy. The shroud covers the radiator completely and is about a half inch thick. My thinking on the shroud is that the fans will cool every fin on the radiator (similar to the factory shroud and clutch fan), not just those fins that are directly under the fan diameter if the fan were mounted directly to the radiator. My primary reason for mounting everything to the shroud was so that I could have as much of the wiring done as possible when I went to install it.
I'm planning on making a fiberglass shroud, but I'm in no hurry.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts