TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to swap my non locked axle for complete elocker axle.. But both trucks need to drive out of shop in morning..

My question is about gearing.. I have stock 410, elockers are 430? Correct??

can I run the 430 without changing frnt, aslong as I keep out of 4wd?( its an add frnt) so its turning when not in 4wd? Right..

To do it correct id have to swap ring n pin on rear axle so both trucks have same ratio.. Fuc I think I answerd my own question..

Any input?? Im I wrong here. I just really want a locker with no money:confused:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes you can swap the rear as long as you don't engage 4x4. I did the same thing on my old Tacoma. I swapped the rear axle in, then re-geared the front diff to 4.30 at a later date.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
First of all, are you sure that the elocker diff is 4.30? The way you worded it, it seems as you are not sure. Not all 4-runners have 4.30 gears, I have run into 4.10's also.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
X2, check the actual gear code from the donor truck. might be 4.10s. To make sure you can do the swap in one night just suck up the cost now and buy all new hardware. that way when you run into a stubborn bolt you dont dick around with trying to get it out, just cut the fucker and move on. same goes for bushings since they might get damaged in the process. i dont know for sure of any PITA bolts in runner rear ends but you never know. have brake fluid on hand to be ready to bleed both systems. might as well have gear oil on hand too since odds are good some will spill out of a breather when you accidentally set one upside down while moving it (we've all done it and learned our lesson from the stench of gear oil). Other than that, be ready for a lot of cussing, and go to town with a breaker bar, penetrating oil, and a few friends to make things move quicker!

·
7,735 Posts
completely swapping axles in one afternoon/night is totally do-able. As others said, you can drive on mis-matched gears as long as you stay out of 4wd. Most e-lockers I've come across are 4.10, but you can easily tell (even without the door code). Just jack it up, spin the flange and count rotations at the wheel. There's a ton of writeup's that explain exactly how to do this.

You'll want to have ubolts for both trucks on hand before you start. And you will have to bleed the brake lines. Make sure you re-check torque on the ubolts after the first few times you drive it.

·
20,355 Posts
Um doug why does he want u bolts:confused:

Check the gearing but be prepared to go without 4x4 on both trucks until you can re gear or switch front diffs if the elocker is actually 4.30s. A front diff swap is another easy afternoon of work if the guy is down with that. Then you would both have the correct gearing.

·
7,735 Posts
swapping axles... re-using u-bolts is not a good idea (stretched threads, stripped bolts).

What am I missing? or rather, what are you guys missing?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
It's a 4runner with coils.... So there aren't any u bolts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Um doug why does he want u bolts:confused:

Check the gearing but be prepared to go without 4x4 on both trucks until you can re gear or switch front diffs if the elocker is actually 4.30s. A front diff swap is another easy afternoon of work if the guy is down with that. Then you would both have the correct gearing.
Yea its 430s I checked this morn, and yea once I started thinkn about it, I relized there would be two trucks stuck in two wheel.. Almost called the whole thing off, until I thought about swappn frnt diff also.. He dont seem to mind, just needs the truck to go out of town so hopefully in a few weeks he will come back and ill be locked in rear!! Im stoked hope it works out!

Coils no u bolts needed, I was going to let that go:) but I guess the others won't
also hit the doner trick with sum inforce already!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yea its 430s I checked this morn, and yea once I started thinkn about it, I relized there would be two trucks stuck in two wheel.. Almost called the whole thing off, until I thought about swappn frnt diff also.. He dont seem to mind, just needs the truck to go out of town so hopefully in a few weeks he will come back and ill be locked in rear!! Im stoked hope it works out!

Coils no u bolts needed, I was going to let that go:) but I guess the others won't
also hit the doner trick with sum inforce already!

Sp you doing this or what? Where you going to be tonight doing the swap? If it's close to home I will drop by and see what's up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sp you doing this or what? Where you going to be tonight doing the swap? If it's close to home I will drop by and see what's up.
Not tonite, it will be a few weeks befor the truck is back in town.

·
7,735 Posts
swapping axles... re-using u-bolts is not a good idea (stretched threads, stripped bolts).

What am I missing? or rather, what are you guys missing?
It's a 4runner with coils.... So there aren't any u bolts.
I'm a dumbass... didn't even think of that.

Never pass up an opportunity to tell me I'm dumb. It happens so rarely that I often forget I don't actually know everything :rolleyes: :lmao:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
If you need any help wiring the switch, let me know. I just did a complete harness and install for my coworker, and I must say it turned out damn sweet. I rarely make harnesses for my own truck, and just run wires loose. But it turns out when I'm getting paid I can do some good work. :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you need any help wiring the switch, let me know. I just did a complete harness and install for my coworker, and I must say it turned out damn sweet. I rarely make harnesses for my own truck, and just run wires loose. But it turns out when I'm getting paid I can do some good work. :D
lol, that's usually a pretty good catalyst. ;).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So its really going down.. Im gettn locked:D next wed it happens!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
O man my head hurts, so I pulled kick planle to start looking for pre wired locker stuff.. Ive got nothing back there, im not prewired at all. Now ive been tryn to figure out how to wire it all up, ill have locker ecu, factory switch, and locker to chassie harness. Id like to use fact switch and want the cluster light to wrk.? Ive been researching it and im sure I can figure it out, but like I said my head hurts.. Any input?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts