TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Friday..my 05 starts to misfire..

Take it in on Saturday..found out that the coil on spark plug #5 (drivers side) is toast..due to water and mud..

Wednesday (yesterday)..service tech calls me and says all the coils have been replaced and it's still mis-firing..

They want me to pay for the coils..which didn't fix the issue it was in for..

The question at large is..should I pay for the coils? (service said warranty wouldn't cover them..)

But it didn't ever fix the issue..HELP ME!!:cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
:mad: NO! sounds like they are trying to screw you. If you took your vehicle in for warranty work and if they told you the coil was bad and they changed it and it didn't fix your issue, well thats their problem and they are going to have to suck up the cost. There is no reason you should have to pay for their "F" up

·
Registered
322 Posts
Are you dealing with Bill Wright Toyota?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
If you go to the doctor with a headache, he gives you pain killer, and your head still hurts, do you not pay him for his time and the pain killer?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Let me guess...

Truck slams a huge water puddle, so bad that it swamps.

Finally starts and runs, but has a miss.

Take truck to dealer. Pull trouble codes.

Trouble code says Misfire and names a cyl.

Mechanic says "Misfire? must be the coil!" Mechanic (And I use that term loosely) runs no tests to verify function of coil, just installs new one. Blames the problem on the water and mud you forgot to clean up before you took the truck in (See how that works?).

Same problem with new parts.

THAT, my friends is a classic case of mis-diagnosis.

Don't worry about whether or not they want you to pay for the coils... the truck isn't fixed yet. Those coils might just be a small fragment of the bill you are looking at.

The last time I saw that exact situation, it was a Chevy Cavalier that hit some flood water in the road.

Unlike your "Mechanic", I put an ohm meter on the coils and found them to be in spec. Being aware that sometimes electrical parts test good but just won't work, I plugged everything up and visually checked for spark.

Not a coil problem. It was sparking it's ass off.

Further investigation revealed that the Hydro-lock had bent a rod and there was not enough compression in that cyl for it to run.

I found it by running a long Phillips Screwdriver down the plug hole and comparing deck height on that cyl at TDC to another one.

The one with the bent rod was more than 1/4" lower than the others when it was at TDC.

The funny part was that it didn't make any noise or burn any oil when it ran.

My friend got in it and drove it away with the bent rod still in the motor!

So, here's the deal. You need for somebody that has some diagnostic skills to look at that truck and find out what is really wrong with it.

When you know the truth, then you can argue mis- diagnosis.

Maybe you can make them eat those parts if they are honest, but if they are not then you damn sure don't want to do any more business with them.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I've diagnosed a half-dozen bad coil packs on Lexus motors and it's quite simple: swap the suspect coil to a different cylinder, start the engine, and watch the scantool to see if the misfire has moved to the new cylinder. Case closed.

God forbid anyone else be second-guessed by their customer at their job... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tell them to put the old Coils back on since there is nothing wrong with them.
I think in this case a better anology is that you went in for a headache and he gave you a colonoscopy. In the end you find out that your Colon is clean but you still have a headache and no matter what you are taking it in the ass.:D

I too am a factory certified mechanic and would agree that they are trying to recover some lost money for a bad diagnosis. It shouldn't be hard to convience them to put the old coils back on (assuming you asked to have the old parts). If they threw them away ask them to atleast pay half.

As for the cause of the miss I really hope its not something as severe as a hydrolocked motor. That could get spendy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes..I'm dealing with Bill Wright Toyota..

And here's the thing..I haven't been thru any water..I haven't even been off road in about 2 months..

So for it to start up and mis-fire on a random Friday night is very odd..

I got a call yesterday saying that they think it's electrical issues now..so I dont know what the deal is..but it's pissin me off big time..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes..I'm dealing with Bill Wright Toyota..

And here's the thing..I haven't been thru any water..I haven't even been off road in about 2 months..

So for it to start up and mis-fire on a random Friday night is very odd..

I got a call yesterday saying that they think it's electrical issues now..so I dont know what the deal is..but it's pissin me off big time..

Good luck dealing with those jerk retards. I have had nothing but horrible experiences with them. I will never do any businees again with them if I can help it. The parts dept. isn't too bad but the sales and service depts are absolute nightmares. I went elsewhere to buy my last 2 new Tacomas and I buy all my parts online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts