TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My emergency brake is loose, I have to pull it back really far in order to make it barely work. I get worried parking on hills. Is it as simple as going uder and tightening up the cord? Or is there more to it?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
You would most likely just need to adjust up your rear breaks. This will take slack out of the cable and reduce the extra stress placed on the front breaks when the rear are out of adjustment.

If you have a lot of break dust on your front rims ( black dust look ) this is a sign the front are grabbing more than the rear.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Passhawk said:
My emergency brake is loose, I have to pull it back really far in order to make it barely work. I get worried parking on hills. Is it as simple as going uder and tightening up the cord? Or is there more to it?
There is a linkage under the truck next to the frame and below the driver's door where you can tighten the cable and remove the slack. 5 minute or less quick fix!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Passhawk said:
Just look near the frame behind your driver's side rear tire. You'll see the linkage. You just need a small wrench or set of vice grips. Tighten the nut on the linkage to tighten up your ebrake.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Now that Winter is here......
My E-Brake will not disingage untill like 30 minutes of driving with the rear brakes on....
The handle in the cab will release but the cable is like froozen or something.
Any body know of any cheap tricks to fix this?
I looked under there and i dont see any mud or anything that cold freeze??
It does this only on cold mornings.
Any ideas???

Thanks
P

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
pportera said:
Now that Winter is here......
My E-Brake will not disingage untill like 30 minutes of driving with the rear brakes on....
The handle in the cab will release but the cable is like froozen or something.
Any body know of any cheap tricks to fix this?
I looked under there and i dont see any mud or anything that cold freeze??
It does this only on cold mornings.
Any ideas???

Thanks
P
Mine did this yesterday... Never it off over night if not it will be frozen in the morning.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
boophoenix said:
You would most likely just need to adjust up your rear breaks. This will take slack out of the cable and reduce the extra stress placed on the front breaks when the rear are out of adjustment.

If you have a lot of break dust on your front rims ( black dust look ) this is a sign the front are grabbing more than the rear.
As long as the rear brakes are within specification, then they should be left alone. The emergency brake is used to adjust the rear brakes after installation, and keep them in adjustment, with each time it's pulled. If the e-brake has too much or not enough play in it, it should be adjusted.

My point: the e-brake adjusts the rear brakes, not vice versa.

Not a rant, just making clarification.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Passhawk said:
check the adjustment of your rear shoes first then tighten up the cable

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I thought thats what the self adjusters where for? And they work every time you back up and apply the brakes.

Now when my e-brake cable would start getting loose (where i would have to pull the e-brake handle way out) I change the rear shoes. That in turn tightens the e-brake back up.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
STOMPER said:
I thought thats what the self adjusters where for? And they work every time you back up and apply the brakes.

Now when my e-brake cable would start getting loose (where i would have to pull the e-brake handle way out) I change the rear shoes. That in turn tightens the e-brake back up.
The parking brake should have 12 to 18 "clicks" as it travels from released to locked. If not, the brake shoe clearance should be confirmed to be within specification before the parking brake is adjusted.

If there are more or less clicks, then tighten one of the adjusting nuts while loosening the other until there are between 12 and 18 clicks.

Everytime the parking brake lever is actuated, a pin engages a gear on a shaft between the brake shoes, and turns it as far as it can until the lever reaches full travel. Each time the parking brake is used the gear turns, bringing the shoes into adjustment if they were too far away from the drum.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
AK98Taco said:
As long as the rear brakes are within specification, then they should be left alone. The emergency brake is used to adjust the rear brakes after installation, and keep them in adjustment, with each time it's pulled. If the e-brake has too much or not enough play in it, it should be adjusted.

My point: the e-brake adjusts the rear brakes, not vice versa.

Not a rant, just making clarification.

Thanks for the "Not a rant, just making clarification". I'll have to investigate mine more as it hasn't done any self adjusting in quite a while now. I have yet to ever own a vehicle that the self adjusters worked on so this could be a new thing if I can get mine working. I had to adjust mine last year as the front were doing about 80% of my breaking. Looks like time to disasemble the rear drums and see what's up in there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Passhawk said:
FYI, I had a 2004 4X4 d-cab 3.4l V6, with only ~9000 miles, ebrake was loose since days 1 and finally I decide to jack up the rear, take off the wheel and do the shoe adjustment, I have to tighten 20 click on left and 15 click on the right side, and now my ebrake is normal.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
boophoenix said:
Thanks for the "Not a rant, just making clarification". I'll have to investigate mine more as it hasn't done any self adjusting in quite a while now. I have yet to ever own a vehicle that the self adjusters worked on so this could be a new thing if I can get mine working. I had to adjust mine last year as the front were doing about 80% of my breaking. Looks like time to disasemble the rear drums and see what's up in there.
Drum brakes are pretty easy to tear apart and rebuild. The biggest thing is getting the springs off and on, as certain ones are quite tight.

Factory specification for lining to drum clearance is 0.5 mm 0.02 in.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Passhawk said:
check the brakes, then adjust as nessasary.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Passhawk said:
And this is a Cheap Trick how? :p

·
Registered
908 Posts
Isn't this the cheap trick forum.............

Everyone is going soft around here........how about some public moderating

I miss DICK

come on you wussy's flame some people
jezus H Ka riced

·
Registered
22 Posts
parking brake

After going through mud pits and hillclimbs my parking brake pulls way out and my brake petal all most to the floor. So what i all ways do is just jack up the rear of the truck, block the front tires and take off the parking brake. Now i adjust the drums one at a time spinning the tire untill i hear the shoes start to make contact. Then just pop the rubber gromets back in and lower the truck. Now the brakes are over adjusted, (parking brake handle pulls out 4 in) then i just drive it around for 10 min and it adjust itself back to normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
20 Participants
jski
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing