TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After doing my SAS and wheeling for a number of years my battery mount started to crack like a mofo. I being the procrasinator that I am decided to let it go. Well it ended up going to long and the crack traveled all the way up and under my battery. So while contemplating my fix for this solution I thought about building an engine cage and hanging the battery off that. This idea seemed even more reasonable since I was due for my second timing belt anyway. What the fawk was I smoking? :rolleyes: :D

Well slowly but slowly I have traveled down this path making slow progress. Just to many other things going on to get work done more quickly on it. I am finaly to a point where I thought I'd share some pics. Unfortunatly I am too cheap to buy a good bender so my weapon of choice was a harbor freight kink-o-matic and some 1 1/4" sch 40 A53 pipe. I decided to make no large degree bends knowing that the kninker would fawk it all up. All notching is done with a chopsaw by the precise eye ball method. As of now most of the main structure is pretty much done. I still have to:
-make some more mounting tabs
-make bolt in over the engine tubes
-mount battery
-mount grill/lights
-mount/install hood pins
-mount fenders
-fully weld
-reinstall belts/hoses
-any thing else I forget
It's not done so there will be more added. The plan is for it to look just like a nomal taco when done with fenders mounting in stock like locatins and the stock grill and lights in place. Let me know what you think.
I only have a couple shots right now, I'll get more later.

No turning back:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Looks fine. Are you tying it into an interior cage?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey can you take pictures on how you mounted the fenders up and how you do the head/corner lights por favor? :)

Looks sweet best of luck to you!
Thanks
As soon as I end up mounting the lights and fenders I'll post pics. The fenders are just going to be tabs of various sizes made to fit. The lights are going to be tricky as the upper adjusting screw mount hits the tube that runs infront/above the radiator.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Looks nice. It's gonna be bullet proof when you tie it into the interior cage.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Time for updates:
I had to ditch the airbox to fit some tube work for the cage so I got me a cheapo conical filter and adapter for 3" MAF and mounted it up. Looks like it should work although I haven't started the truck with it yet.

I spent most of my time this weekend getting the grill lined up and mounted and started mounting the head lights. I was a long tedious process getting the grill lined up but I think its looking pretty good now. Head lights only have one mount done so far but I think it'll work.

Start of head light mounts:

Random shots:

Starting to look like a truck again:

more to come in a few days. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updates:
I made a bit of progress over the last week.
Got the headlight buckets done, just gotta finish weld them and drill a hole for the tension spring from the light housing. I used some 1" x 1/8" strap to make these. For the time being I plan on adjusting the headlight angle by adding wasers behind either the top of side adjuster mount to get the desired angle. No the most trick but it should work.

Started mouting the AC core thingie

A few months ago I figured since the rig was apart and I needed to replace my Power Steering pump anyway, I made a double size resivoir out of my 2 pumps.

Coming together more now:

More pics to come in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is just fawken sweet man, good to see good, informitive tech on ttora.

-Josh
Thanks man. :)

SWEET!!! looks good man. Keep up the good work, and the updates.

Amber and Katy are hosting some scrapbooking get together. They sure do seem to love doing that stuff.
Thanks Steve. :cool: Ya I am trying to keep up the progress and as long as that keeps up I'll be doing updates. I'll be working on it again tonight and on Friday to, hopefully I can get some stuff done.
Here's an update in the wrong direction, I was drilling a hole in the fuse box support and got a bunch of wires tangled in the drill. :eek: :doh: SO of coarse it ripped a bunch of wires out of one of the connectors! So no I get to rewire that sh!t!!!:suicide: :xsmash: Fawk it's always 1 step forward 2 steps back for me. :(

Anyhow, yea the girls love scrapbooking, but thats cool with me. As long as they keep doing that it makes it easier to justify working on/buying parts for the truck! :lmao: :D Plus Katy has made some sweet pages about 4 wheeling trips!:cool:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Todd! That battery holder is SICK!!!! Almost makes me want to tube out my front end :D
Thanks Brain! :) I almost thought I wasn;t going to be able to fit the battery under the hood, which is a big reason I started this project anyway. But by moving some engine components back some (fuse box, etc) I got it to fit.
I wanted to try and incorrporate some bling into this build anyhow, and after a couple different rebuilds of the mounts I am pretty happy with it. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.