TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine check light came on and then after apprx. 15 miles the light went off but I went to my friends house and his father pluged in the code reader. The code I got was: P0120 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Malfunction...What does that code mean? Also, if anyone else had that same problem what did they do to fix it? Thanks for the help.

Mudge

·
Administrator
18,301 Posts
On the back of your throttle body, there is a sensor called a TPS (throttle position sensor). This tells the computer what position the throttle is at. They do sometimes fail, and usually it starts with intermittent issues when the sensor has a couple of bad spots in it. Check the 4 pin connector on the TPS and make sure that isn't loose or some other wiring issue. If all that looks good, then you need to replace the TPS.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mine just went out, I drove straight to autozone when the check engine light came on and they pulled the same code. I bought a new TPS for about $50 and put it in and all is good now. FYI its a very easy part to replace, takes 5 minutes if that. I did think it was strange to have the TPS fail at 74k miles though... Anyone else have an early failure like this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
mine did at 91k

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle Position Sensor

Ok guys so I went to the auto store and put in an order for a TPS for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. I will be picking it up today after work. I plane on changing it myself. Is it posible to be done? Also, is there anything I need to be aware of or watch out for? I hope it isn't to hard to do because once I start the work I want to be able to finish it. Thanks for your help guys.

Mudge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NTAPHSE how hard was it to install/replace? I will be picking up the TPS today at about 5pm after work and want to install it APAS so my damn light doesn't come on again. Also, after you install it do I need to reset the computer so the code goes away so if the light comes on again I get the code for the actual problem and not the P0120 again if that is already fixed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys so I bought the TPS and it costed me $58. Not to bad but for a little sensor that it is that is a lot of money. It took me 5 minutes to do the work. The thing is which I really recomend doing before you buy the sensor is take the old one off and clean it. Just wipe it down and then install it again and see how it works. I took my old one off and cleaned it and placed it back on and my engine check light hasn't come on since. So I have a new switch that I haven't used for $58. So if anyone needs it I'll sell it to them for the price I got it for plus shipping cost. Let me know.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Damn I just priced one for a 99 V6 in Northwest Arkansas at an Autozone for $82.00? Maybe I need to look around before purchasing this sensor? Mine's been throwing the CEL off and on for a month or so now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Damn I just priced one for a 99 V6 in Northwest Arkansas at an Autozone for $82.00? Maybe I need to look around before purchasing this sensor? Mine's been throwing the CEL off and on for a month or so now. :rolleyes:

I don't know why people even check with Autozone, Pep Boys, etc for non emergency parts.

toyotapartsales.com - $37.74

1 - 10 of 10 Posts