TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was hoping some North Carolina people would help me with this. The owner who had the truck before me wheeled in the red dirt and clay in N.C. I was wondering was there anyway of getting that red clay stain off everything. I have tried everything just short of sandblasting.

I know that this isn't a normal topic in this forum, but I don't know where else it goes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Cover it with more mud. :D

I don't know, that stuff can be hard to get out. Short of consulting a detailer, I would say try a pressure washer on a mild setting. Do not use Simple Green. Your heads, intake, and other parts of the motor are aluminum, and Simple Green eats aluminum.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
tcmaboy said:

I don't know, that stuff can be hard to get out. Short of consulting a detailer, I would say try a pressure washer on a mild setting. Do not use Simple Green. Your heads, intake, and other parts of the motor are aluminum, and Simple Green eats aluminum.
That sounds like the voice of experience talking there tcmaboy....LOL

Yeah, I'm with you...just cover it with more mud...its a truck, it should be dirty :D

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
I have good results with my local Do it yourself carwash. Mine has an engine degreaser setting and I just spray the engine down, let sit for a sec and then rinse off. Just don't get to close with the high pressure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
tcmaboy said:

I got this off of the Simple Green website. I have been using Simple Green for years, and we use it on our small boats at work, and have never had a problem with it eating the aluminum up. Any type of cleaning solution left on aluminum for a period of time will eat it up because its a very soft metal that...well anyways here ya go. :)

FROM SIMPLE GREEN'S WEBSITE
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

·
Registered
606 Posts
izahick1 said:
I got this off of the Simple Green website. I have been using Simple Green for years, and we use it on our small boats at work, and have never had a problem with it eating the aluminum up. Any type of cleaning solution left on aluminum for a period of time will eat it up because its a very soft metal that...well anyways here ya go. :)

FROM SIMPLE GREEN'S WEBSITE
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Like I said, Simple Green eats aluminum. I also can say that the Army stopped using it on aircraft a long time ago for that reason. That claim that it has been safely used by aviation for 20 years is crap. Helicopters started developing cracks and they traced it back to the cleaner.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess I'll go sink it in a mudhole and atleast make it brown instead of orange.

·
Registered
456 Posts
dylfish said:
Never see the ingredients on the Simple Green bottle, do ya? That's 'cause "Simple Green is people..."

;)
That's why I buy the stuff. Anything made out of people has to be good.

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i used something the otehr day to clean an alternator, after trying carb and brake cleaner with no avail, i jsut happen to try starting fluid.... just the blast from the can was enough to make the laternaot all new looking

i got pictures to prove it too ;)

tried to clean with brake cleaner and carb cleanerand scrubbing:

straight starting fluid from the can and a wipe with a rag:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts