TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently doing some routine maintenance. At the same time I would like to give my engine a much needed bath. The method people have to told me about is warm up you truck to operating temps,spray with simple green and carefully hose off. I'm worried about the electric components. If it makes any difference I have a SC with fuel mods.

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've always used engine cleaner in a can. I heard that some cleaners are so strong that they soak into your belts and cause them to wear prematurely. The canned stuff is good enogh in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smokintacoma said:
I've always used engine cleaner in a can. I heard that some cleaners are so strong that they soak into your belts and cause them to wear prematurely. The canned stuff is good enogh in my opinion.
I'm gona use simple green. its a very gentle degreaser. I'm just worried about shorting out electrical components.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
As they say on the other side of the world; no worries mate

Super Doody said:
I'm gona use simple green. its a very gentle degreaser. I'm just worried about shorting out electrical components.

I have a supercharger also, and I routinely wash my engine when I wash my truck.

Using simply green is a good choice. what you want to avoid is spraying your alternator with water. Everything else should be okay to get wet. Don't use high preasure when you spray. You have more danger blowing hoses and what not off more than you do in shorting anything out (except the alternator)

Providing you don't have the deck plate mod. if you do, just make sure the plate is installed and then you will be okay on that issue as well.

{make sure and have engine up to operating temperture and running as you spray/clean it}

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with the Simple Green and warming your truck up first, however I always shut mine down whilst cleaning so I can wrap a plastic sack around the alternator. Just don't forget to take it off before starting back up! I also drive around for about 15 minutes to steam some of the water off after the bath.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bear said:
I have a supercharger also, and I routinely wash my engine when I wash my truck.

Using simply green is a good choice. what you want to avoid is spraying your alternator with water. Everything else should be okay to get wet. Don't use high preasure when you spray. You have more danger blowing hoses and what not off more than you do in shorting anything out (except the alternator)

Providing you don't have the deck plate mod. if you do, just make sure the plate is installed and then you will be okay on that issue as well.

{make sure and have engine up to operating temperture and running as you spray/clean it}
Thanks..I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Word of caution....be sure and rinse off whatever cleaner you use completely. Any of the cleaner left on, will corrode any metal it is in contact with. All of your electrical connectors are metal, and could cause problems down the road if not completely rinsed off. Used to detail for a living, and saw lots of engine bays that had been cleaned and all of the metal had been etched, along with all the electrical connectors.

This is how I keep my engine bay clean. Whenever I change my oil, I will hose the bay down, including the underside of the hood. Then I will take an old wash mit and normal car soap/shampoo and wash what I can get to. If there are some particularly nasty areas, I will spray some Castrol Super Clean (diluted), and let it sit for no more than 1 minute. Then I will rinse until I see no more suds/bubbles. Then I will go in from underneath and do the same thing. Then a final rinse from the top, dry what I can get to, and crank the motor to let it warm and dry the rest. This works pretty well, and the engine bay does not get that dirty in 3 months. Still looks new to this day.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts