TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've already asked a buddy of mine who loves working with [American] engines and he has no idea what my problem is. I couldn't find anybody mentioning this specific problem, so I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I don't work with engines so I have no idea what's going on here.

I have a '01 PreRunner V6 with 52k miles on it, and when I start the engine cold, after it fully warms up, there is a clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear left corner [in front of the driver] of the engine compartment. This only happens after it gets up to its normal 190°. It's been doing this for about 5-6k miles, but I've never gotten off my lazy ass to do anything about it.

I've also found that when I give it gas, the clicking stops. I had it idling in the parking lot the other day, and I gave it some gas and it stopped. When I let off the gas though, the clicking came back, but only after it had gotten all the way down to its normal idle speed.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like some help if anybody can give it. Thanks.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Vacuum leak?

I recommend getting a mechanic's stethoscope or the like and trying to pinpoint the noise. That is the only way to figure it out without going on a wild goose chase.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's possibly an injector. Tacoma fuel injectors have been know to get pretty noisy at times. If it is the injector this doesnt mean it's bad, just that it's noisy. Like AK98Taco said get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the injectors.

Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks. I'll get a steth and take a look..listen around.

Also, it seems like my gas mileage has gone down a little bit recently. Could the two be related, or am I just thinking things?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
screwdupdj said:
OK, thanks. I'll get a steth and take a look..listen around.

Also, it seems like my gas mileage has gone down a little bit recently. Could the two be related, or am I just thinking things?

Thanks for the help
May also be a valve adjustment issue...3.4's require manual valve adjustment from time to time..What oil are you using??

·
Registered
297 Posts
I remember another post on this a while ago. The general consensus was that it was normal. Its a noisy engine.... the sound is coming from somewhere behind the fuse box right??? Sounds normal to me. My truck does the same thing. Doenst burn any oil, mileage is good, just a little noisy....

·
Registered
530 Posts
i agree with the valve adjustment,i have a 2000 2.7 l with 100k miles on it doing the same thing after it warms up little ticking noise can be heard,but bring the idle to like 850 rpm's and no noise..i haven't had a valve adjustment yet,but thinking of getting it done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TacoCrazy said:
May also be a valve adjustment issue...3.4's require manual valve adjustment from time to time..What oil are you using??
Whatever oil Toyota uses is what I've got in it. Last time the oil was changed, it was done at the dealer, but I've had it done at Jiffylube or the like.

As for a valve adjustment, would I be wrong to assume that it is something I should have the dealer or a mechanic do, or is it simple enough that I can do it?

'Newb' you're saying to yourself, and you're absolutely right.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scottnmos said:
I remember another post on this a while ago. The general consensus was that it was normal. Its a noisy engine.... the sound is coming from somewhere behind the fuse box right??? Sounds normal to me. My truck does the same thing. Doenst burn any oil, mileage is good, just a little noisy....
Yep, it's the corner behind the fuse box with the thing with the two round things on it with the little green cap.

I guess if it's normal that's fine, but little things like this really annoy me, since they don't seem normal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing and toyota told me it was the injectors two days ago. I am glad I see others have the same thingy going on. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you plan on having them check/clean/whatever the injectors anytime soon? If you do, please post up whether it fixes it. This ticking bugs the crap outta me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts