TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 TRD and I recently put an electric start in. The problem I am having is that the engine doesnt just start when it cranks. It almost always fails the first attempt and works the second. I have been noticing for quite a while that the truck was tougher to start recently. The truck also hunts for idle when it is running. It will vary from about 7-800 rpm to 1500 rpm.
Thanks for any help!
Anthony

·
Registered
479 Posts
There was a TSB about the tacoma's and having a hard time starting. The TSB wanted them to replace one of the main wiring harness because it didn't allow proper current through (wires too small or something). I created my own "grounding kit" that I made following the Big 3 wire upgrade with some 6 gauge wire and since then I haven't had one single startup problem. One turn and it fires right up. Before I had some trouble starting as well, especially on colder mornings.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you elaborate on this more? I am going to search alldata to see what is up.
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
279 Posts
03trdblack said:
There was a TSB about the tacoma's and having a hard time starting. The TSB wanted them to replace one of the main wiring harness because it didn't allow proper current through (wires too small or something). I created my own "grounding kit" that I made following the Big 3 wire upgrade with some 6 gauge wire and since then I haven't had one single startup problem. One turn and it fires right up. Before I had some trouble starting as well, especially on colder mornings.
Hey any pictures?

edit: saw the link, thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I will have to snap some when I get some daylight to work with. I get off work well after its dark. Plus I used some gray wires so they don't really stand out. I'll take a picture and highlight them with photoshop so you can see where they are.

That link I posted used 1/0 guage wire. I thought that was a bit overkill. I just used some 6 guage wire (cheaper) and got the connectors for it at the Home Depot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts