TTORA Forum banner

Engine Elec. Pissing me off... HELP

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ripkinC 
#1 ·
Ok Ok, again Yes I have used SEARCH before, and have reviewed and participated over the past 2-3 months or so with this problem of a missfire/engine running rough. So that beng said... It is more electrical related at this moment so I figure here is the best place.
1998 Tacoma V6 4wd w/trd and is an Automatic Only real engine related mod is deckplate (tried in/out did not solve problem, happened over a year after done too) 117K on it
I am getting Misfires all over. Random and Cyl 2+5 (2 distributes to 5)
I have done all the Plugs, new plug wires, checked gaps etc. Ohemed all the cils, all very close and w/in the good range. Even swaped the one on the misfire to another cyl, and the same cyl (#2) is continuing to misfire. (same with 5)
I have done a rough check on the harness, no visable signes from what I can see of it of any damage (IE from burns or mice etc.)
The throttle body is not that dirty, though I will be cleaning it, and the MAF and O2 sensors next, but doubt that will solve all the problems.
It also is having problems with general power under aceleration, hopefully a result of this misfire problem.
Both these issues have been addressed and some solved. I ahve check most of thoes who solved it (Including the computer ground) and nothing so far.
Frankly I am tired of lack of power not being able to drive my truck alot (afrade to go too long distance now) and spending good money not to fix a problem. OH and unbolting and bolting the SAME DAMN SHIT all the time trying to figure this thing out.
I know Electrical gremlins are the Fuckstiks of problems but anyone with an idea pleas help.
Anyone with an idea and in the Baltimore area, PM me and Ill provide Beer and food if you can help solve the problem in person.
Fankly I do not have the $$$ to take it to a shop right now and pay out the ass for labor. Right now I am glad I didnt buy the $2500 in parts to redo the suspension (of course with hoes and deavers) cuz I am not well off with all this and other thngs lately
So please help.
Thanks
-B
in the meantime I will be trying not to :explode:

See less See more
#3 ·
audiofreak97 said:
Just a suggestion... but have you checked the compression on the two cylinders? Maybe bad headgasket or cracked heads?
Thanks, and no. I will soon though. Thanks for the sugestion.
Hope its not the heads... though good excuse to get new peformance ones... but no $$ for that right now

#4 ·
As already stated, check your compression all the way around.

Also I know my 99 with the 3.4 had a bad MAF sensor and it ran like crap until I finally changed it with a new one. The taco would lose power and just seemed to be missing for the longest time. I did the throttle body cleaning, changed the plugs, wires, and still no resolution. Until finally I broke down and bought a new MAF, installed it and its been running like new every since.

All of that was before I found this site and found out that you can clean those damn MAF with some electronics cleaner. I would try that first since its a possible cheap resolution, that is after you verify you have good compression. Good luck.

#6 ·
hopper said:
Try to switch coil packs. If your misfire changes from cylinders 2 and 5 to where ever you move that coil pack, you have a bad coil pack. I had a similar problem and that solved it.
I did already, thought i made that one clear... However thanks for the idea. just beat you to it.
Now you see why this is really pissing me off

#7 ·
well the only thing u havent checked is the ignitor.... its not coilpack itself cuz its a 2 + 5 misfire BUT instead i think its a bad ignitor signal going to the number 5 coilpack which is also going to the number 2 wire...pretty easy to check, its right under the cruise control (next to the airbox on the pass firewall)....if its still bad its the computer

#8 ·
Thanks. I will check that today

#9 ·
LavosTRD said:
well the only thing u havent checked is the ignitor.... its not coilpack itself cuz its a 2 + 5 misfire BUT instead i think its a bad ignitor signal going to the number 5 coilpack which is also going to the number 2 wire...pretty easy to check, its right under the cruise control (next to the airbox on the pass firewall)....if its still bad its the computer
Ok, found it, and looked at it, everything seams tight. However... anything I should check about it? any way to test it?
thanks
-b

#10 ·
I think all you can do is borrow one from somebody and do a temporary swap just to see. It's not hard to do.
BTW I agree with Lavos on the diagnosis if the heads aren't cracked.
If they are the tendency is for the ribs between the intake and exhaust valves in the center jugs to crack. Yeah, that's #2 and #5. The center cylinders tend to run a little hotter than the ends. You didn't say but has there ever been an SC on that engine? If so, that is exactly what they do. I hope for your sake it's the igniter.

#11 ·
Dick Foster said:
I think all you can do is borrow one from somebody and do a temporary swap just to see. It's not hard to do.
BTW I agree with Lavos on the diagnosis if the heads aren't cracked.
If they are the tendency is for the ribs between the intake and exhaust valves in the center jugs to crack. Yeah, that's #2 and #5. The center cylinders tend to run a little hotter than the ends. You didn't say but has there ever been an SC on that engine? If so, that is exactly what they do. I hope for your sake it's the igniter.
ok, off to the MDttora forum to find some help for the ignightor
No not to my knowledge has it ever had a SC on it. I got it in 2001 I know it did have a hitch on it that was taken off before I got it (the rear frame mounts were a lil bent from the hitch and it has the extra-cooler)
Oh fyi #2 and 5 are not the centers.
order is this:
Back (passenger compartment)
5 6
3 4
1 2
Front
5 distributes to 2 hence both misfire codes.

#12 ·
Stealership is so FUCKED UP (update... not solved)

Ok, so I have tried about everything. no, I could not meet up with a fellow member to swap ignightors, so I finaly broke down and took it to the stealership, and boy did they try to one me over.
First off the mechanic I talked to was an absolute Fuckstick, didnt care about anything I said, (I was only trying to help, not tell him how to do his job)
Than they call me up later and say its cause is because my Brand New plugs and wires (less than 500mi on them) are not factory parts and want 350 to replace and that should solve the problem, if not they will look again.
I asked if they checked anything etc. I dont think they did much more than plug in the computer and look and see that I have aftermarket wires on the thing. (After talking to 3 other mechanics they all agree their retards for thinking this)
Bascaly told them to F-off their money hungry Fucktards and took the truck (they did not charge, I guess because I told tham that I nor my family who has a total of 3 other yotas that we bought at the place would not come back due to their poor service) I am supposed to be hearing from the head of the service dept tomorrow after my salesman (we bought 3 cars from him, total 5 from the dealership) talks with him about this. He thinks its fucked up too. Man this has now got me really pissed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.