TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched a bit and asked a few buddies of mine about this but still had no answers so I figured I would ask as a noob :rolleyes: ... sooo I have had my 98 taco for aorund 7 months now and its got around 150k now. Around 4 months ago I got a full tune up and all new brakes from a buddy, I changed to castrol syntec and got some new bfgs..all minor stuff. I havent had any problems with it, but the engine light comes on maybe once a week and then decides to go off after the end of the day, this has happen maybe 10 to 15 times. 2 times I have brought it to autozone to have them check it but BOTH times when I get there the light decides to go off..just my luck. I am just not sure what it could be...thought it had to do with the weather being cold but the other day it hit around 60 degress and it went on again.. just wondering if anybody could give some input..thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
i had problems like that when i drove to and back from ohio....
im guessing it was the alttitude.
any alttitude changes for you lately?

·
Registered
756 Posts
mcack, i went through the same thing about a year ago. i tried unplugging the battery to reset my computer several times but thats not a fix. as soon as the computer resets, the light comes back on if there is something wrong. i took it to a local mechanic and he replaced a sensor of some sort (not the O2 sensor) and i havent had a problem since. it did cost about 200 bucks but it was worth it to not worry about what could be wrong. also, check your gas cap and make sure it is on tight at all times. i had a friend of mine who had a bad rubber gasket on his gas cap which caused his engine light to come on. good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check Engine Light

There are a few things you should know about the Check engine light, I had trouble with mine about a year ago.

1. Your truck uses a standard engine diagnostic system that is called OBDII. This system continually checks multiple parameters as you drive. If one parameter (ie throttle position sensor) goes out of spec it will notify you by turning on the check engine light. This "fault" is then "remembered" for a limited amount of time. If the problem is intermitent and does not occur for a while (there is a specific amount of time, I can't remember how long) the system will turn off the light.

2. If you do manage to get the code, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. The code that you retrieve tells you there is a problem in the system relalated to the component. For instance, if you get a code for a throttle position sensor, the computer only knows that the signal it is getting is out of spec. This means that it could be the TPS or any of the connectors or wiring leading from the TPS to the computer, or possibly the computer itself causing the trouble code.

For each code you get, the Factory service manual (FSM) had a very easy diagnostic flow chart to help track down the problem. This usually starts by checking the output of the sensor or component, and then tracing that output back to the computer. If you search for FSM in the forums there is a link the norcalTTORA where several FSM's have been made available in PDF form.
So my advice is that if you are comfortable with electronics and using meters and test techniquesand have the right tools, try to fix it yourself. If not then take you truck to a knowledgeable mechanic. Just remember that if you get a code, it is not just a ticket to go replacing sensors. You may waste a fair amount of money when all the problem may have been was a loose connector.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. well there hasnt been any alttitude changes, and when I brought it in they said they cant get a code if the light wasnt on...
Thanks for the heads up though, when or if it comes on again I will try to get it in the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts