TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine light came on yesterday so today I hook it up to the obd2 and the trouble code was po420 which it says means dtc (auxiliary emission control). Any one have any idieas as in to what that means? I have a 97 2.7 4x4 with 181,000 on the motor. Any input would help thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Search P0420 or 'catalyst efficiency'. In a nutshell the computer doesn't think your cat is working good enough, but other factors could be the real problem.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
My book states: Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1) Look at your O2 sensors and your cat. converter. I'd start with the first sensor in the stream. Sorry I can't seem to find any links that describe ways to test them...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any exhaust modifications? P0420 codes are also common with the installation of headers, and cat-delete or high-flow cat pipes.

I'd go after the forward O2 sensor first, typically.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replace the the stock cat with a high flow metal cat about a year ago a long with the front o2 senser. I don't know if it would make a difference but about 3 mounth ago i put on a pacesetter header.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
These so called high flow cats are another suckers play. I count it among the throttle body spacers, Tornado tin widgets and other stupid shit. They have all been of the honeycomb construction type for years now.
#1 there is not much back-pressure to begin with.
#2 If you get one too large for the engine, it won't work right because it won't stay hot enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
Dick Foster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing