TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tired of searching. My engine started missing between 1500 & 2000 RPM when I give it gas. It does not miss or anything past 2100 RPM. Anyone know what it is or have an idea? The Check Engine Light is not on.
I wanted to post on here before I started checking things and cleaning things.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Go to autobone or anyone of those places that will retrieve codes; then get back with us.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The check engine light is not on.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
mudwisr2 said:
I wanted to post on here before I started checking things and cleaning things.
You should do it backwards. Check things and then post.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Check for codes, then PM me for help; unless you enjoy the flame jobs that occur in here.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I guess we can call it the "mudwisr alert" from now on when an engine goes missing. Just get the codes and there will be someone here that can help. I think there could be a variety of problems for this case.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
the autozone scanner won't pull codes that haven't tripped the CEL, AFAIK. You want to check your plugs, wires, coils and ignitor in that order to start off.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cooper4x4 said:
the autozone scanner won't pull codes that haven't tripped the CEL, AFAIK.
Thats why I posted on here first.

Never mind. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4xtaco said:
See if this thread works:

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35756&highlight=intermittent+stuttering

I had a similar issue with my v6 and it was a bad coil pack. You could see a trace mark down the inside of the boot that was causing the plug to ground out causing the stuttering. Check your wires and plugs too...
Thanks for the USEFUL advice. Pulled the plugs and checked the wires and the #4 plug had a burn mark down the side of it and the boot had a matching line on it. The others looked fine. Did you have to replace the wires also or just the coil pack to fix the problem? I am going to look for a coil pack. Thanks again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did everything to be safe... plugs, the bad coil and the wires. I drive too much to have something else fail. The plugs and wires were just cheap insurance and had a good bit of mileage on them.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Coil Pack

Make sure you keep your old coil packs, because that wasn't the problem. If the plug wire boot had a mark on it then that was the problem, not the coil. The plug was probably also bad, but I'm almost sure the coil was good. If you have the two coil setup, you can swap the wires from one to the other and swap the connectors that power them and see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool I'll check it out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
mudwisr2
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing