TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 3vze and i just changed the oil. I added 4 quarts but my measuring is still low. so im wondering if i have the wrong drip stick? Its got a yellow handle.....

perhaps it just needs more oil cause of the oil filter

·
Registered
629 Posts
It's possible you have the wrong dipstick? Someone could have changed dipsticks while you wer not looking and gave you a short stick? Did you buy yer truck new or used?

What's your manual say?

Perhaps you may need more oil?

Got photos?

·
Registered
15 Posts
does it read about 1 quart low? my cousin has a 93 v6 and it usally takes about 4 and 3/4 quarts to 5 quarts.

something funny started happening the oil level started going up on after driving it around, and the weird thing is the last time he changed the oil it was kinda white. weird huh? i told him i dont think its a big deal and too much oil never hurt anyone

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Measure he length of yer dip stick and someone here will confirm you have the proper one...

perhaps it just needs more oil cause of the oil filter
yep

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
does it read about 1 quart low? my cousin has a 93 v6 and it usally takes about 4 and 3/4 quarts to 5 quarts.

something funny started happening the oil level started going up on after driving it around, and the weird thing is the last time he changed the oil it was kinda white. weird huh? i told him i dont think its a big deal and too much oil never hurt anyone
yeah and the antifreeze that's mixing in from the bad head gasket makes it taste good too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wrong and wrong. Too much pure oil can get whipped up into a foam by the crankshaft. Foam doesn't lubricate very well so the operating temp sky rockets real fast. If you don't catch it in time your engine is toast. In the current scenario it sounds like the oil and antifreeze are mixing. It usually looks like a milk shake with just the slightest amount of water/coolant getting mixed in. The more you add, the whiter it gets. Like the other poster suggested, most likely a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just went out and checked my 3vze for you... the handle is yellow on the dipstick..its 22inches long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts