TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sprayed my engine last night with simple green and hosed off, then started the engine till it warmed up and dried. Then this morning, I started my truck, and began to reverse when the engine began to cough. Its was shaking like if it was turnin on and off. I put in neutral, hit the gas a few times, incase some moisture got in or something, and it was fine. Then about 30 miles down the road doing 70, and pushed the gas to go faster, and i got the fluttering again, I could not go faster, just could keep my speed. And then the engine light came on. And I keep driving. Then about 5 miles further it went away as well as the engine light and I got to work. Then, going home did the same thing. I have the Deck Plate mod, and last night, i screwed in the plate. So I did not make that mistake. When I looked into the air box this morning, it did have a little water in the corner. So my guess is, Since I have the deck plate mod, got a little water in teh air box, and have the K&N filter, it has to be my Mass Air Flow censor. Any help would be great guys. I am going to clean it right now with elect. contact cleaner from radio shack that is the non-resadue. HELP.....

How do I find the spot on this MAF Sensor to spray. I have a 98 V6

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cleaned MAF sensor and pulled plugs out to shoot air, no water. But I did find about 2 tea spoons of a red oil in the little U shape Scoop off the intake on the bottom. Turns out the K&N filter oil is the same color and must have collected it for the last year and a half. I started the engine after doing all this including reseting the EFI. Still has a rough idle, engine warmed up, then went away. Went for a drive seems ok. But I still think somethings wrong. Anyone have a computer to hook up to it and test things? If the engine light comes on again, I might take it in. I need my baby running in perfect shape, or I start to worry.

Anyone???????????

·
Registered
497 Posts
go to vato-zone and have them read your code, the CE light doesn't have to be on for them to read it either then this way you have a starting point to be able to track down the culprit :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
yes it does have to be on, otherwise there is no code stored.. I have a diagnostic unit at my house laptop and everything, and if theres no light, theres no code..

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah, the codes are stored in memory even if there isn't a light. Maybe you knocked loose a vacuum hose when your were showering your engine. Check all the hoses. When I was doing the "O" ring gasket mod, a vacuum hose had come loose and the truck ran rough and seemed it was about to stall. I looked all over and discovered a loose vacuum hose under the throttle body when I was taking it off.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
DesertTRD said:
yes it does have to be on, otherwise there is no code stored.. I have a diagnostic unit at my house laptop and everything, and if theres no light, theres no code..
some scan tools can read pending codes but doubt autozones cheapo scanner will read them. You are right in that no ce light no hard code set. If you havent cleared the codes then it should store old codes in its memory untill cleared out.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
DesertTRD said:
That is not true. My buddy dropped his 97 taco off a the repair shop because of fluttering while trying to excelerate but not CE light. He went for a rid with the mechanice and the scan tool and he was getting codes left and right about the engine with no CE light(and it was not blown either). He narrowed it down to a bad coil pack.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
You might want to check the plug wires out. Some moisture may have gotten traped in the valve cover around the plugs. If the plug boots aren't seated good ( auto zone plug wires are really good for this on a 2.7 ) when you rinse the motor it can seap down in there and be a PITA to get dryed out.

If your truck is precoil pack check the distributor cap as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sprayed it ver lightly. I took the whole Intake off and cleaned everything. Even the throttle body.Cleaned MAF sensor and pulled Spark plugs out to canned air to shoot water out incase, but no water. But I did find about 2 tea spoons of a red oil in the little U shape Scoop off the intake on the bottom. Turns out the K&N filter oil is the same color and must have collected it for the last year and a half. I started the engine after doing all this including reseting the EFI. Still has a rough idle, engine warmed up, then went away. Went for a drive seems ok. But I still think somethings wrong. Anyone have a computer to hook up to it and test things? If the engine light comes on again, I might take it in. I need my baby running in perfect shape, or I start to worry.

·
Registered
497 Posts
go to vato-zone they will read the code trust me :) if i see you tomorrow night and you still haven't done this me and kirk are gonna beat you up :) hehe

they'll read it for free and give you a print out of whats up so just do it :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem solved. I did what dan said, and did not find any water in the spark plug wires and holes. That did not fix the problem. So I removed them and let them dry just incase over night, this morning, everything is fine. Now I have a clean intake, clean throttle body, and found another problem when I was messing around. Thanks dan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts