TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv already done my research and cant really find my exact problem. Iv got a 2004 tacoma with 192,000 miles. Seems that below 2000 and above 3000 RPM the engine starts missing and spuddering or on any kind of load. Or if i just stick the throttle to the floor it does the same it starts missing too.
If i drive it easy and accelerate slowly it runs fine and there is no check engine light on. I changed the fuel filter and it seems to be better but still not fixed.
Id like to troubleshoot it and fix the problem right the first time instead of just changing parts and shooting in the dark.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor? Check your system with a scanner to look for "Pending" codes (the light won't be on). Let us know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on thanks, kinda what i was thinking. Ill check it out. Im a heavy equipment mechanic and we see this often, the sensor will be covered in shit and makes the engine do some weird things.
Ill swing by the auto store tomorrow and get back to you.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Is this a throttle by wire engine or not? If not, bad TPS would be my first guess.
04 3.4... Gotta be TBW. The possible problem and therefor the solution might have just gotten a lot more expensive. OP, you might be looking at replacing the whole throttle body.
There are a few threads around here with similar issues and basically the TBW throttle body issue knowledge base.
You might want to start searching.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Washed your engine bay recently? I know with mine sometimes get water on one of the coil packs and i start throwing misfire codes.
Have to wait for it to dry out before i start it if I get alot of water in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts