TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 Tacoma 5spd. When Im cruising in 4th gear only and push the gas down any significant bit, my engine just starts revving like the clutch is pushed in. However, the clutch still feels fine and hasn't dropped or anything. Im still assuming the clutch is bad, however, I would like to get a couple other opinions. This truck only has 83k miles on it, isn't that sorta young for a clutch to go out? I shift around 3k in most gears, so I don't rag on it. Im assuming the previous owner couldn't drive a stick. Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
The clutch may have material left, but the flywheel could be glazed or the springs could be weak. Problem is that there is a fair amount of labor involved either way. To eliminate having to do it a few times it's best to get a new setup and turn the flywheel all at the same time.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
Thats a sure sign your clutch is going out. One of the old mechanics tricks is to shift from 2nd to 5th and floor the gas. If the RPMs shoot up, then the clutch is slipping. Sounds like you need to replace the clutch really soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck. Something you might try( i heard this would tell me if my civics clutch was bad) apply parking brake, release clutch, and see if car stalls. The other thing. Did you buy from a good source. Sometimes people can't help but fool with the ODO to make a little more money. I'm not an auto mechanic, but I slept at a BEST WESTERN last night. Good luck with the truck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a sure sign your clutch is going out. One of the old mechanics tricks is to shift from 2nd to 5th and floor the gas. If the RPMs shoot up, then the clutch is slipping. Sounds like you need to replace the clutch really soon.
Ive done that before, but forgot about it...I'll try it this afternoon on my way to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts