TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new 2007 Tacoma Prerunner (4cyl, 5-spd), and I am having problems with the engine revving when it is in neutral. It happens in one of 3 ways:

1. rare: when taking the truck out of gear, for example shifting to neutral from 5th gear and coasting. The engine will rev very high (up to 6000 RPM if I let it).

2. also rare: If I cancel cruise control, the engine will rev (again, up to 6000 RPM or more)

3. very common (this happenned probably 50 times or more during a few days of driving): When shifting from 4th to 5th gear, I put the clutch in and the engine revs up very high (again 6-7000 RPM) as long as the clutch is engaged.

I have found that I can "fix" the problem by manually revving the engine (after that, it will go down) or by shaking the stick back and forth a few times in neutral (under condition 1 above).

I only have about 3000 miles, and I took the truck to Toyota. They had it in the shop for 2 days, but they can't find any problems. One thing that seems weird: I live in the SF Bay Area, and it doesn't seem to happen locally. The problem (so far) has only occurred when driving in the mountains. The most common way for it to happen is shifting from 4th to 5th when driving up a hill with the gas pedal pressed all the way down just before shifting.

Questions: Does anyone else have this problem? Is this potentially damaging anything (like the clutch)? Is this normal? I am pretty certain it's abnormal, but Toyota seems to be telling me they can't fix it b/c nothing is "wrong." Not sure what to do next, but I'm not happy after dropping over $20,000!

Scott

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the'07 years,do they have drive by wire systems?If so i would find a different dealer to help you.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
shaefner said:
I recently bought a new 2007 Tacoma Prerunner (4cyl, 5-spd), and I am having problems with the engine revving when it is in neutral. It happens in one of 3 ways:

1. rare: when taking the truck out of gear, for example shifting to neutral from 5th gear and coasting. The engine will rev very high (up to 6000 RPM if I let it).

2. also rare: If I cancel cruise control, the engine will rev (again, up to 6000 RPM or more)

3. very common (this happenned probably 50 times or more during a few days of driving): When shifting from 4th to 5th gear, I put the clutch in and the engine revs up very high (again 6-7000 RPM) as long as the clutch is engaged.

I have found that I can "fix" the problem by manually revving the engine (after that, it will go down) or by shaking the stick back and forth a few times in neutral (under condition 1 above).

I only have about 3000 miles, and I took the truck to Toyota. They had it in the shop for 2 days, but they can't find any problems. One thing that seems weird: I live in the SF Bay Area, and it doesn't seem to happen locally. The problem (so far) has only occurred when driving in the mountains. The most common way for it to happen is shifting from 4th to 5th when driving up a hill with the gas pedal pressed all the way down just before shifting.

Questions: Does anyone else have this problem? Is this potentially damaging anything (like the clutch)? Is this normal? I am pretty certain it's abnormal, but Toyota seems to be telling me they can't fix it b/c nothing is "wrong." Not sure what to do next, but I'm not happy after dropping over $20,000!

Scott
not normal...damaging? maybe but probably not since these engines have a rev limiter. seems like something is screwed up with the sensors that adjust for AF mix when you get up to alititude. Keep on Toyota to figure it out.
what altitude does it start going wacky? find a dealership in the mountains and stop by, Tahoe? ;) then, when/if they fix it, charge your local car store for the gas bill :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Throttle opening is controled by the ECU using inputs of the accelerator pedal position sensor and the throttle position sensor in the throttle body. Either could be responsible for your symptoms.

I would also inspect the throttle body plate that could stick into the open position. Did the truck had ANY devices such an autostart or cruise control installed? Does it accelarate by itself when the clutch is engaged? Theses questions will help the tech in diagnosing your problem.

I suggest to find another dealership and have them perform active tests using the techstream on these components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts