TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my truck ('00 V6, 90k miles) is cold it will not idle without keeping my foot on the gas, it will start and then die. When warm it will often Idle quite low.

Anybody else experience this? I've tried replacing plugs/wires, cleaning throttle body, new air filter etc. Check engine light not on.

I really don't want to have to take it to a mechanic....

Thanks

Kevin

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
did your CEL come on?
Mine did and has stayed on, Lean code
I think I have a bad injector on my 4 banger

·
Registered
22 Posts
Clean MAF and check to see that IAC valve (below throttle body) works and isn't gummed up. Mined would open and close when I hooked it up to the battery but was clogged with some random gasket that had broken loose.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks in the hoses and the manifold and check the throttle body to see if it is gummed up. And abide what The Dude said and clean your MAF sensor.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Don't know, vacuum leaks are typically high idle although the MAF and IAC are prime suspects. He didn't say how it runs at normal speeds though so that leaves a lot more room for guesswork.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've cleaned the MAF and throttle body as well as I can and looked for obvious exhaust leaks. Trucks runs good at speed.

I'll try messing with the IAC, any tips?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Not other than what is in the factry manual as far as checking out the IAC valve and actuator. The manual is online here http://fsm.afraid.org/. Don't go much by their troubleshooting chart because they say to go for the fuel pump and related for your problem but that makes no sense if it runs OK but just has low or no idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 96' V6 with 146k idle runs a little low when it's cold and driving is fine cold or warm, but soon as it's warmed up it won't idle at all. Checked the IAC valve and it's acting up. Will find out this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts