TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on engine swaps and I found the more commons ones (V8, 2.7 -> 3.4, etc) and I was wondering, has anyone ever thrown a wankel engine into a tacoma, or for that matter, any toyota vehicle? I'm asking because I could easily get my hands on one and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it (I have a 2.7L right now).

I know, it would take a lot of fabricating and custom work, but what would be the up and downsides of that specific swap?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Voimakas said:
I did a search on engine swaps and I found the more commons ones (V8, 2.7 -> 3.4, etc) and I was wondering, has anyone ever thrown a wankel engine into a tacoma, or for that matter, any toyota vehicle? I'm asking because I could easily get my hands on one and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it (I have a 2.7L right now).

I know, it would take a lot of fabricating and custom work, but what would be the up and downsides of that specific swap?

??? why in the hell would you need a torqueless motor in a TRUCK???

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And that would be why I posted this in the newbie section. Also, the one I was looking at said it was something like 260 some odd horse and at least 200 ft lb.

So I should head in the exact opposite direction and find a small cummings?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I suppose it would matter what your idea of "worth it" "is". :)

The easiest would be to stay Toyota, and stick with the motor you have and supercharge it. If you wanted to tear into a motor, there are a fair amount of aftermarket engine parts are available. ,

A little harder would be to stay Toyota and swap a 3.4V6, 190 horse and 220+ft lbs of torque over a broad rpm range. Why harder? More parts to aquire, electrical wiring, new front suspension parts. Again if you really wanted to push it, supercharge it.

Both of these motors are torque oriented motors, get decent gas mileage. In stock form, will offer many thousands of miles of reliable service if properly maintained.

After that you could potentially stuff whatever you wanted in the front of your tacoma. BUT your looking at fabricating a lot of parts ie motor mounts, radiator mounts, wiring a lot of stuff to get dash lights, idiot lights, cruise control and all that kind of stuff working or functioning properly, aquiring or fabricating adapters for bellhousings, transmissions, cross members, maybe frame modifications, suspension modifications etc etc etc etc etc. In other words a lot more work and possibly a lot more money.

Wally

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

But no matter what you do to a four banger, it stays a four banger.

"There is no replacement for displacement." And all that.

Say I put on headers and do a brand new exhaust system, supercharge it and go the 7th injector or other fuel upgrade route. It still wouldn't make the same amount of power as switching in a bigger engine like the small block V8 or a 3.4.

Am I completely wrong in that regards? Also, what would be the difference (cost wise)?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
umm its a 2.7 so no 7th injector, its either 5th or supra ones. And if you supercharge the 2.7 and un injectors tune it and all that stuff, you will make v8 horsepower, less weight and good fuel mileage. those are all things to think about

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of a supercharged 6 when I said 7th injector. 3 more injectors probably wouldn't help me out much on an I4. :p

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Can you throw us some hints at what your goals are for a starting point in regards to performance?

Wally

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
o
ok got ya now, why not do the 2.7 up if you already have it

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
green96taco - because a 2.7L will be a 4 banger no matter what you do to it. I read through a couple of the supercharger I4 threads and from what I saw: "it's better then stock, but it's still an I4.

Wallyp226 - I'm looking for something that can cruise the streets, but can still go out and do some four wheeling light to medium trails. I won't be getting into huge mud bogs or sand dunes.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Voimakas said:
green96taco - because a 2.7L will be a 4 banger no matter what you do to it. I read through a couple of the supercharger I4 threads and from what I saw: "it's better then stock, but it's still an I4.

Wallyp226 - I'm looking for something that can cruise the streets, but can still go out and do some four wheeling light to medium trails. I won't be getting into huge mud bogs or sand dunes.
No faith :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The stock engine will do all the things lined out in your goals and do them with ease.

If you supercharged the 2.7, your output would be about 200 horsepower, 225+ ftlbs of torque. My bet is that you would still get around 20mpg or more on the highway.

This would be the easiest way to increase the performance with the least amount of work, for comprible price of a 3.4L swap, and still maintain a decent amount of reliability.

Wally

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, this will be perhaps too broad:

What kind of final cost am I looking at just for parts? I've looked through LCE and the supercharger there was a touch over $3,000. Is this what most people use or are there better options out there?

And what else should be done at the same time the super's installed? Headers, cold air intake, 5th injector (got it right this time), and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That is about right in costs, probably a little bit more when its all said and done.

However you will be in that amount or more putting a 3.4 liter V6 in but with a whole lot more work. With the V6, you will need to buy the whole enchilada, many portions of the drive train. Transmission, the motor, wiring and plumbing ie gas and exhaust lines, vacuum lines. In other words its a lot more work, hidden expenses and things you may not think of until you get there. If this is a dd, gonna need to find another one for a few weeks to complete this project. :rolleyes:

Another idea might be to trade your truck up for a 3.4 liter V6 if you want a larger motor.

I have helped swap a few motors, doing it right takes, some thinking, problem solving, lots of time and money and patience. If this is a dd, you can expect your truck to be down for a couple of weeks if you can work on it every night with friends on the weekend. Anyways, two cents of an opinion.

Wally

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
a new one is around 3k, but why not try to pick up a used one for around 1500 or so

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
X2 wally. When you do a swap, you open a big ole can-o-crap :saw: :welder: :( and end up with a very frustrating amount of work, tuning, exhaust, suspension issues. Just supercharge it and have fun. It's the biggest bang for the buck and a lot less fiddle freeking around in the long run. You could start the project on a saturday morning and be wheeling on sunday afternoon (minus fine tuning) :cool: Go with a tried and proven method of making HP and follow in the footsteps of those that went before you. That way you won't run into major probs. True, there is no replacement for displacement, but supercharging basically fools the engine into thinking that it's bigger, by force feeding it. In escence, you are making more displacement, you're just short a couple of cylinders in the process. You won't see the same torque numbers that a V-8 would make, but then again you don't have the headaches either. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
you could put the rotary in and not have much torque but shoot some big ass flames. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everybody. I probably won't be able to trade up to V6 tacoma with low mileage. As you can see from my sig my truck is a 95 (with 136-7k) and I know the toyo dealer here wouldn't even give me what I paid for it and I got it inexpensively from a family member. So, a supercharger will go on the list, but it'll be much farther down the line. I need to do a couple other things to make it a better/more useful dd (rhino liner, new bumper/hitch, better tires) before I drop 3k on a supercharger.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sounds good. Have fun with it, you will be able to go a LOT of places off road just the way it is.

Wally

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thank you everybody. I probably won't be able to trade up to V6 tacoma with low mileage. As you can see from my sig my truck is a 95 (with 136-7k) and I know the toyo dealer here wouldn't even give me what I paid for it and I got it inexpensively from a family member. So, a supercharger will go on the list, but it'll be much farther down the line. I need to do a couple other things to make it a better/more useful dd (rhino liner, new bumper/hitch, better tires) before I drop 3k on a supercharger.
Where you at in the UP? I was just upthere this weekend wheeling with my friend. He was in an '82 Toyota pickup on 35's and I was in my practically stock Tacoma and I only had to take a strap a few times. It was the most extreeme trails my truck has ever seen. If you're anwhere around the Marquette area let me know. We'll wheel sometime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts