TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Tacoma 2.7 manual 4x4 was wondering if anyone has swapped a bigger engine or turboed the 2.7 ?
while retaining the ac of the vehicle as well as the 4x4. I got a few guys around me who have done a 350 swap and seems to be the way to go just wondering how that works as far as the transmission goes would love to be able to switch it to automatic if possible. Also seen the 2jz turbo engine looks like another fun one but I would assume uses more electronics than a old carb 350.

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who has done it would be much appreciated!
1999 Tacoma
2.7 manual
6 inch fabtech lift
Custom shock system
3 inch body lift
Custom speaker box

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Intake Ports

I was told by Luke at ToyotaTruckEngines that replacing the 8-port 3RZ in my 2000 4Runner with the 4-port version would gain 15hp and 5mpg. However, on another board its been said that the 8-port flows better.

I haven't seen hard data either way - maybe the grass is just always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cali CARB

Thanks for the reassurance. After further research, I found that the 4-port version is the California CARB compliant model. Since we've passed smog every year here in the Seattle area and the couple years we lived in California with our original 8-port engine, I've decided to keep it status quo.

As for the OP's question, you can boost the 2.7 without completely swapping it out. Check out the thread on another board.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had Toy Only Swaps in OR put a 3.4 5VZ from a 2001 Tacoma in my 1994 4runner. It wasn't the cheapest thing I've ever done but I think it turned out well. Rig runs good, doesn't use oil and looks quite factory.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts