TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 trd 5spd s/c urd 2.2" magnaflow amsoil
im not sure if you can acuratley tell the engine temp by the gauge but. ever since i purchased the truck it seemed like it was slightly above half way. when tuning it i looked at the temp and it was 181 degrees. im not sure if this is normal because i have the 170 degree thermostate. what can i do to help this because i know that engine heat has to do with engine longevity.

i have the 70% water coolant ratio
i have the water wetter
whats next... WI or maybe 160 degree thermostat.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
I wouldn't go with the 160, since there has been talk about it being worst for the engine, and from what I read it sounded like a reasonable explenation, I just don't remember why at the moment. As for your temp, I have a ver similar set up and with my OBDII reader it tells me the exact temp the computer is reading. My temp went anywhere from 174-178 at normal operating conditions(not stepping on it at all). Your temp looks ok to me. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as it doesn't climb up to far.

·
609 Posts
00trdtaco said:
im not sure if you can acuratley tell the engine temp by the gauge but. ever since i purchased the truck it seemed like it was slightly above half way. when tuning it i looked at the temp and it was 181 degrees. im not sure if this is normal because i have the 170 degree thermostate. what can i do to help this because i know that engine heat has to do with engine longevity.

i have the water wetter
I have that same setup. My temp on the scan tool sometimes will hit 180*. It fluctuates depending on load/boost. The tool that gives more info and will save your engine is a EGT guage. I watch that more than boost/tach/temp/speedo combined. If you don't have WI and aren't tuned properly you are risking serious damage. The EGT meter will bet better for you than the temp guage unless you are noticing some sort of spike under certain conditions. The 160 stat may not allow your engine to properly warm up causing a worse conditon than you have now.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
00trdtaco said:

i have the water wetter
Heck, my temps have always been either side of 200*F. Same setup on a 97.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts