TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Tacoma 4X4 V6 has developed a noticeable engine tick. I'ts more so on the drivers side. I was thinking maybe exhaust manifold gasket leak.........
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Mine just started doing the same thing. I'm going to check for an exhaust leak, just haven't had a chance yet. I got 130K miles, and it goes away once it heats up, so I'm guessing that's what it is.

--Scott

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Not sure exactly what it is but something in the fuel injection system ticks at idle which is normal. Could this be your tick?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I notice on my '04 3.4L that there is a tick at idle, especially when it is very cold outside. I was also told it was normal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
maybe the engine trying to get oil up in it like when it has ran out over the night. I think that tthe stock Toyota filter has a anti-drain back valve to prevent it .

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
My 95 Tacoma 4X4 V6 has developed a noticeable engine tick. I'ts more so on the drivers side. I was thinking maybe exhaust manifold gasket leak.........
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Does it start ticking more while you accelerate? I had this problem on my Sequioa and it turned out to be a cracked manifold.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Ticks at idle, especially when cold, but can't hear it when driving. Just had my truck in for a 30k and dealer also said it was normal and it was the injectors. Just bothers me that my wifes 02 4runner, 50k miles, purrs like a kitten, no tick at all. I tried some BG44k and it did not help at all. Does anyone know if an actual cleaning of the injectors will fix the problem?

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 95.5 3.4L Taco ticks the same way, and if I remember it sounds louder from the drivers side. It is very audible, and increases as the RPMs go up. If i'm driving next to a concrete wall or something, say a tunnel, I can even hear the ticking if i'm on the gas. It is hardly audible at idle though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My 98 3.4 used to have a tick somewhat like a valve tap if you left it sit and idle from cold startup to hot without ever moving it.Once you drove it awhile it went away and wouldnt come back again even if you left it idle while hot. I started using Valvoline maxlife synthetic 5w30 and it has since disapeared. I think it may have been something in the valve train getting gummy from sitting ( i bought the truck from an older gentleman) and the max-life oil is supposed to cut deposits and condition stuff etc. This is weird because my noise was primarily from the drivers side as well. I would love to know what was doing it but it has gone away and is quiet as a mouse now. The belts make more noise than the motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine does the same thing. ticks on the drivers side. i already did the whole valve adjustment thinking it could have been something in the valve train. it still ticks away like it always had. drives me crazy. i don't like it when engines make ticking noises. i'm gonna investigate the possiblility of exhaust problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts