TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the head on my 22re and there is about a half inch of oil on top of the #2 piston. I don't have the tool to check the diameter of the piston sleeve but what would cause this?

Bad piston seal or broken piston ring? Seems if it was a seal or ring the oil should drain out of the piston sleeve.

Do I need to pull the block and take it to a machine shop?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just pulled the head on my 22re and there is about a half inch of oil on top of the #2 piston. I don't have the tool to check the diameter of the piston sleeve but what would cause this?

Bad piston seal or broken piston ring? Seems if it was a seal or ring the oil should drain out of the piston sleeve.

Do I need to pull the block and take it to a machine shop?
Valve seals?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In searching google that was popping up alot. If it is valve seals wouldn't all pistons have oil on top, not just the one?

Can this happen(valve seals) because of incorrect clearance between valve stem and rocker arm?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In searching google that was popping up alot. If it is valve seals wouldn't all pistons have oil on top, not just the one?

Can this happen(valve seals) because of incorrect clearance between valve stem and rocker arm?
A valve is over the top of a piston, if that valve leaked, it would only leak into that one cylinder. You have the head off take a look, the head gasket seals off cylinders as individuals. Any change of performing a leak down test and trying to isolate where the air is leaking out to (valves or piston)? I am not expert at all but the oil needs to come in from somewhere, and if it's only a valve that might save you some time and money.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Should have done a leakdown test before pulling the head. Only thing you can do now is sent the head out to have new seals put in and hope its not the rings. Although at this point you might as well take it all to a machine shop and have them measure clearances

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the oil drained from the cylinder and there was some play in the #2 piston. I guess it was broken rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Taco_toy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing