TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have info on toyota engine weight (longblock or complete)? i want to get a sense of the 2TR-FE vs. 3RZ-FE, 5VZ-FE. thanks

alfio

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
The 5VZ completely built w/ all the accessories is a touch over 500lbs... The 3RZ completely built w/ all the accessories is between 300 and 400lbs... I forget the exact weights. I would imagine the 2TR would be right around the same as the 3RZ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5VZ completely built w/ all the accessories is a touch over 500lbs... The 3RZ completely built w/ all the accessories is between 300 and 400lbs... I forget the exact weights. I would imagine the 2TR would be right around the same as the 3RZ.
well, i dunno about that. the 3RZ is an iron block but he 2TR-FE is an aluminum block with lots of plastic components replacing metal pieces (mostly alloys but still, plastic is lighter than alloy and aluminum). anyhow, i'm looking for the data to figure this out one way or another

alfio

·
Registered
1 Posts
well, i dunno about that. the 3RZ is an iron block but he 2TR-FE is an aluminum block with lots of plastic components replacing metal pieces (mostly alloys but still, plastic is lighter than alloy and aluminum). anyhow, i'm looking for the data to figure this out one way or another

alfio
The 2tr is basically a 3rz with modernized head and vvti on the intake cam (or both cams if it's newer than 2015) they share a block.

·
Registered
1 Posts

alfio
2TR-FE cast iron block just like 3RZ-FE engine. Pistons, and heads are different dual vvti , on 2TR-FE. 2TRFE has roller rockers, over Cam oil system, no shims, so no valve adjustment. Yes plastic intake, but many cars use this for weight saving measures now. On paper it should be better than 3RZ but everything but block is new so only time will tell if it will last like 3RZ does. I sold a 1998 Tacoma pre-runner with 3RZ that had 272,000 miles, that used no oil and it valves were checked for shim adjustment and needed nothing still within specs at 272,000 miles. In my book how could they improve on that. 2TRFE has some work to do to be equal to the old 3RZ that only years of driving will tell the true answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts