TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have a 1996 Taco 3.4L 4x4 and like the title states, the engine cracks hard but wont catch. Seems like it's not getting any fuel. Maybe the fuel pump is shot?

It starting acting up a few times before it finally stopped working altogether. I was originally thinking water in the fuel tank but dumped a couple bottles of methyl hydrate and some more gas but the engine still won't run.

No cracks in any of the air hoses under the hood and I don't smell any leaking or unburnt fuel. Going to change out the fuel filter and see what happens.

How do you check the fuel pump to see if it's working?

Any suggestions on what might be the issue?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Try starting it a few times and then quickly remove a spark plug to see if it's wet with fuel, if it is then it's not firing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
crank it and have someone tap the tank with a soft mallet a few times... Sometimes the pump gets blocked up and a whack or two will get it loose.. seen it before on my buddies chevy... pops is a mechanic and always told me the hammer is a flat rater's go too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've ran flowmasters for quite a few years now. I'll be replacing my exhaust shortly and not go with another one. I'm lucky to get 2-3 years out of them before the rust out. The first was a baffle that came loose inside and drove me nuts. Took a while to figure out where the noise was. The current one is splitting and rusting out on the bottom. Just had the cracks rewelded shut. I think I've got the 44 on there now. Had a 50 series iirc before. I'll try the magna flow next.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
^ huh?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Idk what the hell is going on with my phone. I'd been viewing and replied to the exhaust thread. No idea how the hell it got here. First time I viewed this thread. Can a mod delete or move my previous comment?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
:xbeer1: Yeah yeah have another:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would spray starter fluid in the intake and see if it starts. If it does then its a fuel problem. If not it may be an ignition or timing problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got her running!

Replaced the fuel filter, blew some compressed air down the gas line back to the tank, added more fuel and some methyl hydrate, gave her a few squirts of ether while cranking her over and vroom, she finally starts.

Maybe some dirt or something in the fuel line or tank? Vapour lock? Not sure why she would not run but she seems to be fine now.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts