TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to be aboard here at ttora! Have a few questions in regards to my 2017 2.7 5spd. One being a mechanical concern and the other gearing the for the future.

1). Recently had my master cylinder replaced under warranty as my taco is CPO and after getting it back my clutch feels “off.” EVERY time I shift OUT of 1st and into neutral there’s a loud bang and buck. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like if you were accelerating up to 3-3.5k rpms and yank out of gear into neutral. The weird thing is it’s only doing this from 1st - no other gear. It’s also MUCH smoother (and almost resolved the issue) if I just don’t even use the clutch into neutral and then use it to get into 2nd. The dealer who did the work bullshitted me saying that’s “normal”’so I’m taking to another tomorrow who has no clue a dealer has done work on it yet and hopefully having the issue
Resolved. Maybe didn’t bleed the clutch correctly? I don’t know..

2). Regearing for the future: I know stock gearing on my truck is 3.92 and currently on 265/75/16s from the previous owner turning 2500rpm at 70mph. Curious where 4.88s would land me with 33s and/or 35s. 35s are appealing to me considering how big a 3rd gen body is, but I don’t want to put tons of extra stress on the drive train considering there’s already BAD drive train noise and vibration on a grade in 5th gear for me at 70mph. Very bad. I know the 4cy loves to rev and it’s actually better for it to run in a higher rpm bang for both power and fuel economy so lately I’ve been dropping into 4th and wallah, no drive train strain or sound.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
1- Clutch master cylinder? If so, you might be right about there still being air in the line. They are notoriously hard to bleed and just a little air will cause the clutch not to fully disengage the flywheel.

2- 4.56 gears for the 33s and you might consider 4.88s for the 35s, but you will be higher up in the RPMs. You should look into that driveline noise problem. Does your model have a center support bushing (carrier bearing)? If so, that might be worn out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1- Clutch master cylinder? If so, you might be right about there still being air in the line. They are notoriously hard to bleed and just a little air will cause the clutch not to fully disengage the flywheel.

2- 4.56 gears for the 33s and you might consider 4.88s for the 35s, but you will be higher up in the RPMs. You should look into that driveline noise problem. Does your model have a center support bushing (carrier bearing)? If so, that might be worn out.
Yes sir, clutch master cylinder. I’m hoping that’s all it was - them being too lazy to take the time to properly bleed it.

4.56 for 33s? All I’ve read on this site is almost always 4.88 for 33s, but those were also older model Tacoma’s. Who makes 4.56 for 3rd gen? I’ve only been able to to find aftermarket 4.88s (haven’t looked around much though).

As for the loud hum and vibration on the freeway at a grade, I’ll have them check the carrier bearing and u joints. It’s odd, but honestly feels like that 2.7 is simply struggling on a tall 5th gear with bigger than stock tires and steelies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts