TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 4R and have noticed when driving around with the back window down the exhaust gets in the cab. I have talked to some other folks and have noted the same. Is there any way to reconfigure the exhaust to get this to not happen?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have an 88 4R and have noticed when driving around with the back window down the exhaust gets in the cab. I have talked to some other folks and have noted the same. Is there any way to reconfigure the exhaust to get this to not happen?

I couldn't resist! :D :)

Troy is on the right track though. I should have asked that as well. You may need more than a quick fix.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I would think out the side, aimed down (kinda where it is) would be pretty good - sure you don't have an exhaust leak somewhere? Truck IS almost 20 yrs old now...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I have an exhaust leak. It has an after-market exhaust system and just passed emissions. The fumes are noticeable when running and stopped as well as going <35 +/-. Not opposed to putting a new exhaust on it - just dont want to put a new one on and not have it fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I had an 84 Bronco that did that same thing. being young and ignorant I paid Midas to put a new C. Converter, Muffler and exhaust to fix it. It didn't work. I did a complete tune up new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter and even poured a bunch of crap into my tank that was supposed to make it run better. still didn't work. Went to the junkyard and bought a wind deflector for $5.00 and never smelled exhaust again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to get a soft top - will the wind deflector work with a soft top - I mean other that duct tape and bubble gum to attach it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked to a guy at the Yota dealership - he has a 4R too. Said my aftermarket exhaust is not coming out at the same place as a factory exhaust. He made the same suggestion everybody else has (the wind deflector) but agreed it wouldn't work with a soft top - and that reconfigruing the angle and location the exaust comes out at should fix it. Looks like its time for the sawzall.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Larc,

It prevents the wind from creating a swirling effect at the back of the vehicle by deflicting the wind up. Opening the rear window creates a suction that brings the fumes directly into the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an '87 Samurai with an after market exhaust that ended just under the tail gate. The exhaust came in bad until I added just a short 45 degree extension pointed down. No more problem. It's a cheap thing to try. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update - I havent had the time to re-configrue the exhaust - but I noticed today when hauling a load of lumber and plywood - that when the tailgate is down the fumes go away completely - and the ride is much more enjoyable. It is a definate wind tunnel - kind of nice.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Mine exits out the driver side right in front of the rear shackle. It's protected from rock damage and seems to do a decent job of keep the fumes out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts