TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, somebody mentions the exhaust crossover pipe.

You know... about how it's stupid, and it sticks out, and it's going to get smashed.

Well, my truck is over a year old now and has been wheeled quite a bit.

I've high centered it right on top of that pipe.

I've drug it over some big rocks.

I've scraped it on all kinds of stuff.

And it's still fine.

Maybe it's smashed down a little, but it's nowhere near smashed flat and the truck runs as good or better than it ever has. (I'm at 35k now and things have loosened up a little bit :D)

Has anybody here actually damaged that pipe to the point that it afected the way the motor runs?

I saw a post or two where some people cut and welded to re-route that pipe, but I don't remember anybody saying "I smashed it flat and it made the truck run bad".

So what about it? anybody out there actually smashed it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
no damage to it here and ive had a pretty busy season, alot of frame draging and high centers, and one crushed rocker - im pretty sure i sat the truck on that pipe twice forsure on hill climbs

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Man, I managed to dent up the stock exhaust enough. My cat is looking pretty sad. If it were to hang half an inch lower, it would be gone.

I've ripped the exhaust system off on two of my previous vehicles though, so I've got a reputation to live up to :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's not smashed flat and so far, not really effecting the engine as far as my butt dyno can tell. But, that said, it is dinged up nicely and has some decent dents in it. Seems pretty ridiculous the way it hangs below the frame support crossmember that the tranny rests on. Not an optimal location in my opinion.

Probably not that big of a deal, but if I were to change something about this truck it would be the addition of steel bumpers and a different location for that pipe.

I don't take really intense trails and I've managed to bang it up. I can imagine that others have been much more successful in banging theirs up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
if and when i do change out the muffler i'll have them cut that section out. i'll have an exhaust place do it the way i wan't it done in 2.5 all the way back. I have'nt had any issue's to get hung up on yet. with my luck the 1 time i do i'll probably tear a weld above the catalitic or something :eek: !

i'll end up doing the same as the V8 taco did underneith. cut both sections of pipe after the cat and flange it so if i have to i can unbolt the system. except i'll join it in a Y where it comes back together rather than have the dual set up.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
fast frank said:
In another thread, somebody mentions the exhaust crossover pipe.

You know... about how it's stupid, and it sticks out, and it's going to get smashed.

Well, my truck is over a year old now and has been wheeled quite a bit.

I've high centered it right on top of that pipe.

I've drug it over some big rocks.

I've scraped it on all kinds of stuff.

And it's still fine.

Maybe it's smashed down a little, but it's nowhere near smashed flat and the truck runs as good or better than it ever has. (I'm at 35k now and things have loosened up a little bit :D)

x2, no problems here after many good trails and almost two years :2cents:

·
Registered
123 Posts
one large rock later after dropping on it hard. the pipe looks ok but under light throttle there is a small exhaust leak from around the manifold started right after. Has anyone broken a manifold or pulled out manifold studs??

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
slo blue said:
one large rock later after dropping on it hard. the pipe looks ok but under light throttle there is a small exhaust leak from around the manifold started right after. Has anyone broken a manifold or pulled out manifold studs??

This is my exact concern. I can replace the pipe easy enough, I just don't want to tear up the manifold or damage the block. I was thinking about cutting the pipe upstream from that spot and putting in a piece of flex pipe so if it does get hung up bad enough it will come apart there. I don't know, maybe that is not the best option. Other than relocating it, what are some other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kaistie said:
This is my exact concern. I can replace the pipe easy enough, I just don't want to tear up the manifold or damage the block. I was thinking about cutting the pipe upstream from that spot and putting in a piece of flex pipe so if it does get hung up bad enough it will come apart there. I don't know, maybe that is not the best option. Other than relocating it, what are some other suggestions?
Suggestions?

Drive it. there are hundreds of those running around here on this board, and nobody is having any trouble.

One guy says he has a small exhaust leak.

I mean... If you just want to spend your money...

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
It's not that I want to spend money, but I do wheel my rigs quite hard and I don't want a damaged block/header. Arizona rocks can be quite unforgiving, especially where I take my rigs. I guess I will see what happens. If I notice it getting banged up too bad I will make the change then. I just hope its not too late by then.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Before I did my sac I took my stock Taco out to Calico and bent the stock crossover pipe 10 minutes into the run. :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
awsumdc
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing