TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have an exhaust leak. I can sort of hear it when I give it some gas, and when I did the seafoam treatment, I saw white smoke come out after the exhaust manifolds.

Now, I assume that the leak is at one of the gaskets after the exhaust manifold. Is this wise to assume this, or is a cracked pipe common?

Is the fix for this as easy as buying new gaskets and replacing them? Would this be a hard job?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a similar problem, it turned out exhaust manifold was cracked up pretty bad. You might want to remove the heat shield and see if you can see cracks in the manifold. You will probobly have to remove the manifold to replace the gaskets between the manifold and the downpipe, but it wasnt that bad of a job. I just followed the Hayes guide and it went pretty smothly. Just make sure you retorque the bolts after you drive it for a while. I have the 2.7 though so dont know how much harder/easier this job would be with the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
just put a header on it:)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I got new gaskets from advanced, but im sure autozone has them.

I got new gaskets from advanced, but im sure autozone has them. If you sepnd about 200 bucks on a new header, you get more power, better sound and its a win win deal

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i just realized that you have a v6 haha at you

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
wvu95taco said:
I had a similar problem, it turned out exhaust manifold was cracked up pretty bad. You might want to remove the heat shield and see if you can see cracks in the manifold. You will probobly have to remove the manifold to replace the gaskets between the manifold and the downpipe, but it wasnt that bad of a job. I just followed the Hayes guide and it went pretty smothly. Just make sure you retorque the bolts after you drive it for a while. I have the 2.7 though so dont know how much harder/easier this job would be with the 6 cylinder.
x100 the exhaust manifolds are junk!

I`m getting close to buying an LC complete exhaust, but $950 is alot...for a lil power and some sound. That with a TRD stage 1 cam would perk it up alot :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that TRD cam for the 3.4, and would it work with a 95?

And yes, the V6 equals twice the amount of $$ for a header than the 2.7. dammit

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Never buy an exhaust gasket from anywhere else besides Toyota. All others do not crush properly and will eventually leak.

To find the leak have the truck running and run your hand along the pipe and around the manifold to see if you feel any air coming from anywhere, check the O2 sensors and the connection right before the cat. (no I don't mean actually touching the pipe with your hand just around it to feel for the leak)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Coppertone said:
I think I have an exhaust leak. I can sort of hear it when I give it some gas, and when I did the seafoam treatment, I saw white smoke come out after the exhaust manifolds.

Now, I assume that the leak is at one of the gaskets after the exhaust manifold. Is this wise to assume this, or is a cracked pipe common?

Is the fix for this as easy as buying new gaskets and replacing them? Would this be a hard job?
I second the Toyota factory exhaust manifold gaskets, no others are worth it. And changing the gaskets is not an easy job to do correctly, but anythings better than paying a dealer to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts