TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 Tacoma with a Borla muffler welded onto stock pipes. My mechanic is putting JBA shorty headers on, and at a discounted price can put a JBA exhaust system on. Should I scrap what I've already done (cheap route, muffler on stock pipes) and get a complete system?
Also what do you all think of just taking out the catalytic converter and running straight pipes with the borla?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I think the swap to JBA exhaust won't do a whole lot w/o being supercharged.

I guess it depends on the deal you're getting and if you just like the sound.

I've heard that cat removal makes it sound shitty but I have no experience.

I have a CA spec truck(2 cats) and an O2 simulator. The mechanic at the dealership suggested punching out the cats(he did and added an O2 sim).

I have been thinking about an aftermarket replacement for the front one and 86'ing the second. Mainly cause the first one is curved and would require more work to replace compared to the second, where a straight pipe is easily welded in.

I looked for a test pipe form LC but couldn;t find one.

Lets us know what you do and how it works.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have an '04 Tacoma with a Borla muffler welded onto stock pipes. My mechanic is putting JBA shorty headers on, and at a discounted price can put a JBA exhaust system on. Should I scrap what I've already done (cheap route, muffler on stock pipes) and get a complete system?
Also what do you all think of just taking out the catalytic converter and running straight pipes with the borla?
Thanks
never ran headers on my 97 3.4, but i did run 2.5" piping from the header back, removed the cat and ran a straight pipe i had a local shop fab up for me years ago. running that exhaust and a 40 series flow master i loved the sound, you could hear me coming from miles away. when you floored it man it was super loud, as a kid 20-23 years old when i had the truck it was fun.

Now im running just a 40 series and 2.5" muffler back on my 01 3.4, sounds boring so im installing an electric cut out, that way i can run a deep tone around town. And when i want to be loud flip a switch and BAM straight pipe sounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts