TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been having a problem with catalytic converters. This is the second time I have taken my truck ('02 Double Cab V6) in for trouble code P0420, Cat Efficiency Below Threshold, Bank 1.

The first time this happened was at 54,000 miles and they replaced the whole works. Now it's happening again at 72,000 and they have to replace it all again. (Fortunately under warranty!!!) I installed a Jardine Cat Back exhaust around 30,000 miles, and have found some hit-and-miss info on the internet of other Taco owners with the same problems, after installing an aftermarket exhaust system.

Can anybody verify this?? Should I go back to the stock exhaust, or am I just having bad catalytic converter luck??

Thanks in advance,
Beave

·
Registered
203 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

I've been having a problem with catalytic converters. This is the second time I have taken my truck ('02 Double Cab V6) in for trouble code P0420, Cat Efficiency Below Threshold, Bank 1.

The first time this happened was at 54,000 miles and they replaced the whole works. Now it's happening again at 72,000 and they have to replace it all again. (Fortunately under warranty!!!) I installed a Jardine Cat Back exhaust around 30,000 miles, and have found some hit-and-miss info on the internet of other Taco owners with the same problems, after installing an aftermarket exhaust system.

Can anybody verify this?? Should I go back to the stock exhaust, or am I just having bad catalytic converter luck??

Thanks in advance,
Beave
I had the same problem after I installed my Magnaflow cat back, same code. I kept resetting the ECU and it kept coming back so I just left it alone with the CE light on. Some how, the CE light went off after about 2000 miles and it hasn't come back on since. I say it's the winter fuel that made the CE light dissappear. but we'll see next yr when it warms up. Did you use new gaskets when you installed the exhaust? The o-ring and o2 sensor gasket? If not, you could have an exhaust leak which will cause the CE light(P0420 code) to trip.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got my cat-back, I think it may have come with one new gasket, and I re-used the other one. The tech at Toyota said the code can be called up for several different conditions, so they tested my cat specifically and found it to be the problem. I just don't understand how a better exhaust system could screw up the cat-conv?

Thanks for your help,

Beave

·
Registered
203 Posts
Beave said:
When I got my cat-back, I think it may have come with one new gasket, and I re-used the other one. The tech at Toyota said the code can be called up for several different conditions, so they tested my cat specifically and found it to be the problem. I just don't understand how a better exhaust system could screw up the cat-conv?

Thanks for your help,

Beave
Glad it was under warranty. If I get that code again, I'm going to the dealer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it never hurts to ask!! It's nice to get the invoice at the end, and instead of seeing high $$ amounts next to all those part #'s, you just see "WARRANTY" over and over again!!

And besides your basic warranty, I know (at least here in WA State) all emissions gear is warrantied up to 80k, and that is a federally/EPA enforced warranty.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a "bump". Hoping others may chime in on this one.

Thanks,

Beave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Beave
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing