TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, since we finally have a section of our own...how about a pic thread for us expeditionary types?? lets see all those expo rigs out there.

i guess ill start...

that should get this one started. thanks again shannon, for getting the expo tech section going. us expeditionary types appreciate it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rigwelderstaco - motivating pics - hope to be there one day. In the mean time, how do you get the flippin' pictures in the thread. I'm still wrestling with the photobucket links. Haven't cracked the code on that one yet....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rigwelderstaco - motivating pics - hope to be there one day. In the mean time, how do you get the flippin' pictures in the thread. I'm still wrestling with the photobucket links. Haven't cracked the code on that one yet....
photobucket -

either click on or move the cursor over the picture that you want to post.

then when the box appears that has all the different links in it, click on, and highlight the box that has IMG next to it.

once its highlighted, right click and "copy"

then move back over here, right click, and "paste".

thats it. thats what i use too is photobucket.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks rigwelderstaco -- I was doing everything but that before...

Anyway, here a couple of my work in progress.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks rigwelderstaco -- I was doing everything but that before...

Anyway, here a couple of my work in progress.

nice truck. how do you like the canbak?? i thought of getting one before i got the shell. i was just worried about someone cutting thru it. now i use a couple of tool boxes bolted to the bed and padlocked.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks but doesn't compare to yours and some of the epic trips you take. But I'm starting - going to Moab in March.

I like the top but I'd never secure anything back there for the obvious reasons - just unsnap the sides and you have complete access unless you took the same precautions you described and bolted down a lockable tool box. My DD is a Prius now, so the Tacoma gets duty on the weekends and trips.

Question for you - I see you are running a Ham radio - your thoughts? I'm thinking about the same in the near future.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but doesn't compare to yours and some of the epic trips you take. But I'm starting - going to Moab in March.

I like the top but I'd never secure anything back there for the obvious reasons - just unsnap the sides and you have complete access unless you took the same precautions you described and bolted down a lockable tool box. My DD is a Prius now, so the Tacoma gets duty on the weekends and trips.

Question for you - I see you are running a Ham radio - your thoughts? I'm thinking about the same in the near future.
yeah this is my budget build. i built the bumpers and light hoop out of scrap metal, and the snorkel out of scrap...all leftovers from work. cheap but effective.

i like the ham radio. i have 3 different frequencies to choose from, and CB. here in socal, we have a lot of repeaters to choose from so most places i work i can find a repeater to talk on during my commute. on the trail i dont use it as much because most people have cb's. i actually need to revamp my antennaes. my transmit and receive are not what they used to be.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Stock(ish) But a start

Hoping to have ARB bumper and some sliders next week.

So far all it has is Mall terrains and the camper top. Gone camping a few times but no major wheeling involved. Hoping to take a trip out west to explore next year. :xpopcorn2

·
Bearded Red Viking
775 Posts
Well, here's mine. I haven't got to go on any real long trips yet due to work and my wife in college. BUT she grads in May this year (09) and i'm gonna hopefully take a few months or year off work for some traveling!!

I bought a nice digital camera finally a while back after going through one and not being able to take pics while we were out goofing off on some of my friends trails. Anyways, here's mine after snorkel install looking all shinny in the parking lot...

Here was my total trail rig up until this summer when i decided to sale and make my Tacoma the new trail rig...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice fj. the important part is that it gets where you want to go...not how built up it is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
These may not be hardcore expedition vehicles, but I'll show them off anyway! :p

Here is my old weekend warrior 4runner:

And my "work in progress" Taco:
(Updated pictures in post #129)

Which I plan on eventually taking on a trip up to Alaska!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Which I plan on eventually taking on a trip up to Alaska!
Alaska rocks! This time im moving up there for a while, but im driving all the way there from here in GA instead of flying and shipping my truck. If you get a chance hit up Fairbanks and Bettles, an Denali.

·
Registered
523 Posts
99 Runner SR5 4WD Highlander Edition
Performance:
-2002 4runner 3.4L swap
-Deckplate mod
-Airaid MIT aka ISR mod
-True Flow air filter from www.burtmanindustries.com
-Vortex muffler from www.burtmanindustries.com
-Magnaflow(Car Sound) free-flow cat.
-Hayden 1678 tranny cooler

Offroad:
-Extended rear differential breather
-LockRite Rear Locker
-8K LB smitty built Winch
-100' Blue synthetic winch line
-factory fog lights modified for front rock lights
-two rock lights within the sliders
-one rock light mounted at the stock spare location pointed at the axle

Suspension:
-Tundra coils with 3/8" top plate spacer and extended studs
-OME N91S
-OME 891 lift coils w/OME N86C shocks in back
-1" tapered diff drop from Sonoran Steel
-Panhard drop bar from Sonoran Steel
-Super Soft Rear Bumpstops from Sonoran Steel

Armor:
-WabFab Off-Road 60" Sliders
-Custom front bumper w/ shackle hangers
-Custom (BruseTS inspired) bumper

Wheels & Tires:
-Lexus LX450 Wheels with toyota center caps
-Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 285/75-16

Interior:
-Modified 1st Gen Rollbar w/custom spare tire mount, fire extinguisher mount and a 3D maglite mount
-Hi-Lift Mounted in rear
-PIAA domes
-Husky liners front and rear
-Maglite 3D on front Driver and Passenger Husky liners

Exterior:
-Black Pearl Emblems
-PIAA bulbs all around
-Chromed Xenon turn signal bulbs front and back from www.burtmanindustries.com
-Taco whip antenna mod
-Window tint
-TRD Decals
-Clear corner and bumper lenses from www.burtmanindustries.com
-2001+ tails
-2001+ front grill
-Yakima rack w/ 2 bike racks

Electrical/Audio:
-Optima Yellow top D34/78
-1/0 Battery Cable and Hooker Audio battery terminals
-Cobra 18WXSTII and 3' FireStik mounted in rear door jamb
-Pioneer DEH-P80MP
-Infinity Kappa speakers

expo's: Arkansas, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and CA Sierra Nevada's and Coastal mt's

·
Registered
523 Posts
chase team in Baja 1000, definitely an expo

two space tires per truck(with race truck spaces also) 30gal of extra fuel per, food for a week, Navigation ie, paper maps, handheld gps, mounted gps. Commo ie CB, walkie, scanner, VHF. spare halfshafts, ball joints, lug studs and nuts, compressor, welder, generator

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Here's the start of mine...

After I finish the 3RZ swap, I'm hoping that it looks something like this after paint, tires & wheels, and armor...
(different gen, I know... but you get the idea)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chase team in Baja 1000, definitely an expo

two space tires per truck(with race truck spaces also) 30gal of extra fuel per, food for a week, Navigation ie, paper maps, handheld gps, mounted gps. Commo ie CB, walkie, scanner, VHF. spare halfshafts, ball joints, lug studs and nuts, compressor, welder, generator
like your setup. one day id love to go down and work the baja. hell id like to go just watch. i just think itd be fun to work on it.

·
Bearded Red Viking
775 Posts
99 Runner SR5 4WD Highlander Edition
Performance:

I'm gonna show my wife your 4Runner! I'm trying to talk her into buying one. She wants a Z06 Corvette but I want her to get a 4Runner so we can sup it up to look something like this! Awesome Runner!!!!

1 - 20 of 286 Posts