TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into coilovers for my 4runner and wanted to know what the difference between the extended and regular Donahoe coilovers are.
I know the extended ones are taller but is there anything different that I may need for one but not the other?
I take it that the extended hoe's don’t need to be cranked so high for more lift?
What lift do each provide?
Why should I choose on over the other is basically what im asking.

By the way YES I did search before posting!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
They both (regular and extended) provide the same amount of lift: 0" -to- 3"

The extended travel coilovers are designed to give your wheels more down-travel, but to take advantage of that benefit, you'll need aftermarket Upper Control Arms. Without the new UCA's you wouldn't be able to tell a difference in the performance of the coilovers.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They both (regular and extended) provide the same amount of lift: 0" -to- 3"

The extended travel coilovers are designed to give your wheels more down-travel, but to take advantage of that benefit, you'll need aftermarket Upper Control Arms. Without the new UCA's you wouldn't be able to tell a difference in the performance of the coilovers.
Ok so basically extended hoes give me more travel if I have UCA's.
So will the extended hoes therefore put more stress on my shafts (ADD) resulting in faster wear?

·
Registered
393 Posts
...also, do not get the extended version and run them with stock UCAs, as i have been advised against this by the Donahoe staff. If you want to run stock UCAs, get the regular version, and if you ever decide to get the aftermarket UCAs(Camburg, TC, Hoes) in the future, just take/send the COs to Donahoe and they will extend them for you for less than 100 bucks. I went this route by the way.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
will the extended hoes therefore put more stress on my shafts (ADD) resulting in faster wear?
Again - the extended hoes will be no different than the regular ones as far as your CV's are concerned. ...and that all depends on how far you crank them up. Anything over 2.5" with ADD, and you're probably going to have problems.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...also, do not get the extended version and run them with stock UCAs, as i have been advised against this by the Donahoe staff. If you want to run stock UCAs, get the regular version, and if you ever decide to get the aftermarket UCAs(Camburg, TC, Hoes) in the future, just take/send the COs to Donahoe and they will extend them for you for less than 100 bucks. I went this route by the way.
Well I planned on getting aftermaket UCA's anyway to fit 285-75's.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again - the extended hoes will be no different than the regular ones as far as your CV's are concerned. ...and that all depends on how far you crank them up. Anything over 2.5" with ADD, and you're probably going to have problems.
Thanks for helping clear that up! :kewl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts