TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm drawing in on my 36,000 mile mark and was thinking about an extended warranty. I would almost definately do it if I was buying used and had no idea how it was treated before. Since I'm the only owner I'm thinking the $1000+ (quote from dealer) would be a waste. But then there's my other side that can't decide a damn thing. For those that have it, is there so much fine print that they will rarely cover most things that may happen? I've got about 1400 miles (1-2 months to decide) so I thought I start the worrying now. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
AZTaco said:
I'm drawing in on my 36,000 mile mark and was thinking about an extended warranty. I would almost definately do it if I was buying used and had no idea how it was treated before. Since I'm the only owner I'm thinking the $1000+ (quote from dealer) would be a waste. But then there's my otehr side that can't a damn thing. For those that have it, is there so much fine print that they will rarely cover most things that may happen? I've got about 1400 miles (1-2 months to decide) so I thought I start the worrying now. Thanks in advance.
They sell extended warranties for a reason, they make money off of them. I.E. on average you're paying more for the warranty than the value of repairs they do per person.

Extended warranties are a waste of money. In the long run you're waaaay better off saying no to all of them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I tend to agree with mudferret on this one. They wouldn't be doing it if they didn't expect to make money. When I bought my truck, the original owner had bought the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty. Since I could transfer it for $50, I went ahead, but I wouldn't have paid $1000 for one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i got an extended warrenty thru my credit union when i refied, for a grand. i was reading the 10 or so pages of coverage and they go into detail of all the things that void the coverage and the coverage is only re-imbursed after first getting thier permission to start the work, and after they review all the reciepts, and get this- they MAY want to review my own log of work I performed with the reciepts showing that i followed the makers recommended services. Wish i would have known back when i first bought the truck to save every reciept! They even say they have the right to request a teardown and inspection prior to paying out or aggreeing for coverage work to begin. If after teardown, they find a non-covered part caused problems, they will not cover or will not pay for the teardown.
I guess it boils down to me paying and if they WANT to reimburse, great. If not than atleast its already fixed and im out a grand plus the work i just paid for!
Im gonna give it a try when i take it in for tranny work, If they dont pay, im gonna try and cancel the warrenty.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I bought my truck used at 44k it was only $850 to extend the factory warranty (which covers almost everything, not just engine and tranny) to 100k or some date in the future which I can't remember at the moment. Doesn't matter to me, I'll hit 100k long before then.

Long story short, it's paid for itself and then some already in 1 year and 18,000 miles.

If it's the Toyota warranty you are talking about, the ease of getting service seems to be dependent on the dealer. They're obviously more then happy to do the work as long as Toyota is refunding them.

My dealer has been very good to me. Maybe I'm just the lucky (or unlucky?) minority, but the extended warranty has worked in my favor.

The MAF sensor, windshield wiper switch cluster, and a few other stupid little things have all been replaced. Would have cost me WAY more then the warranty.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
AZTaco said:
I'm drawing in on my 36,000 mile mark and was thinking about an extended warranty. I would almost definately do it if I was buying used and had no idea how it was treated before. Since I'm the only owner I'm thinking the $1000+ (quote from dealer) would be a waste. But then there's my otehr side that can't a damn thing. For those that have it, is there so much fine print that they will rarely cover most things that may happen? I've got about 1400 miles (1-2 months to decide) so I thought I start the worrying now. Thanks in advance.
its a waste... trust me i just threw mine away

·
Registered
793 Posts
AZTaco said:
I'm not keen on Xtnded warranties myself. I figure if something astronomical is gonna go wrong it'll probably happen before the regular factory warranty expires.
Now I know that is not true in all cases.
As already stated it's a money maker for them in most cases.

Since yer the only owner, save yer dough.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To me it wouldn't be about how much it cost to buy the warranty, it would be more like, "Could I afford to replace something major?", or "If this truck breaks down, am I gonna have to starve for 2 weeks so I can pay for someone to fix it?"

If you can afford to do the work, don't waste your money as long as you have been the sole owner and treat it with a little decency. If you wheel the hell out of it, you may want to look into it.

I don't have a warranty anymore, and won't buy one b/c I don't drive it much. (I have 27K on my 98...had 9K when I bought it 5 years ago).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mudferret said:
They sell extended warranties for a reason, they make money off of them. I.E. on average you're paying more for the warranty than the value of repairs they do per person.

Extended warranties are a waste of money. In the long run you're waaaay better off saying no to all of them.
I agree. There's just that little nagging SOB voice in my head that keeps saying "but what if..." After psoting and stewing it over on my drive home I'm not doing it. If this was a Dodge I'd be singing a different tune. Thanks.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
AZTaco said:
I'm drawing in on my 36,000 mile mark and was thinking about an extended warranty. I would almost definately do it if I was buying used and had no idea how it was treated before. Since I'm the only owner I'm thinking the $1000+ (quote from dealer) would be a waste. But then there's my other side that can't decide a damn thing. For those that have it, is there so much fine print that they will rarely cover most things that may happen? I've got about 1400 miles (1-2 months to decide) so I thought I start the worrying now. Thanks in advance.

It's a waste. If it is an initial quality item covered by the bumper to bumper you would have noticed by now. Snuff extended warranties with confidence.. that's why you paid premium prices for the Toyota name already :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Tacoma is a fairly reliable vehicle that is relatively cheap to do repair work on. It is worthless in my opinion. I bought my current Tacoma (my 3rd BTW) wit habout 40k on the clock and now have 98k and I've never had a single problem with any of my Tacomas, definitely nothing that warrants I spend good money on a warranty.

Now, if you are buying a used European car with expensive parts and that isn't terribly reliale, yeah, I'd say it is a really good idea.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
AZTaco said:
those extended warranties are a comodity just like the truck and price is negotiable. offer them $300 ;) and no, that's not a joke.

you also have a 60k powertrain warranty over and above the 36k anything breaks warranty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does anyone know if you get a refund for the extended warranty? I have been thinking about this myself...I have a '03 with less than 20k on it and bought the 80k mile extended warranty.

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
796 Posts
I purchased the extended warranty for my '97 when I bought it new. Waste of money because I never needed, nor ever used it. I now have 138K miles.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
I wouldn't get the extended warranty. I haven't had a single problem with my truck since like the 15k mark. And even then, I never saw any problems. The dealer just decided they would replace my water pump as they claimed it was leaking.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
AZTaco said:
It depends ALOT on the dealer you will be using, and how much you may be wheeling, etc, the truck.. and don't even bother with anything other than the Toyota one, the platnium with $0 deductable, it covers everything but rubber seals, brake pads, and the clutch itself. All the others either have a deductable or limit what they cover, or if non-toyota you may have to fix it and then submit receipts or only that dealer will do work on it, etc, etc..

I had a good dealer, and probably had well over $8000 worth of stuff replaced, from rear wheel bearings and seals, to the TPS, to an entire rear axle houses, various seals (even if it was leaking only a tad they would replace them..) Drive shaft u-joints, carrier bearings, throw out bearings, CV's, etc.. Half the time when I brought it in for service they would find something and fix it under the warranty and I wouldn't even know until I picked it up... and this is with my truck, lifted and obviously used off-road. They were fair with it, they wouldn't replace everything, if it's something I obviously broke off-road they would deney it, but most times if it was border line they would replace it (like my rear axle houseing). Most of the money I saved was in labor, a seal may only be $25, but $300 in labor to replace it..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm against extended warranties. You really have to read the fine print. I've been screwed in the past. If you haven't had any major failures by now you should be OK.

Robert

·
Registered
565 Posts
If this was "chevyterritory" I would say yes, pay the $1,000 b/c it will pay for itself many times over...but since we have Toyotas. don't waste your money. spend the $1,000 on upgrades. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts